Home made......

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As I am sitting here drinking the first cup of home made hot chocolate this winter, I am thinking about something my neighbor said to me the other day.
We had a bar-b-que with the neighbors and family last saturday (I think it was saturday). I askedd my neighbor if she wanted lemonade, pop, coffee or home made hot cocoa. Well, long story short, she has never made, nor does she know how to make hot cocoa. You know the kind, the kind made with Hershey's cocoa.
My mother used to make it all the time in the winter. Then she would put it in the fridge when we were done drinking and it was just as good cold the next day. Is there anything that you had as a child that other people didnt, and it seems kind of unusual to you? Something associated with really good memories?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Now it's a common a dirt but 50 years ago no one made Chinese dishes except my Mom- she had taken a cooking class from some nuns who were refugees from China and learned how to make some dishes. Ingredients were a challange then but my Birthday Dinner for years was sweet and sour pork- not made like restaurant kind you get today but so good.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Spanish rice... My kids have never had it and I never made it for them...I don't know why, as I always loved it!

Pickled corn...I can't find anyone but an old timer that remembers pickled corn, straight out of the crock. Even some of them have never had it.

Buttermilk....my grandma used to crumble cornbread in it and eat it with a spoon. I don't crumble the cornbread, but I still eat mine with a spoon. I can't tell you why, but I have just always preferred it this way and feel it tastes better from a spoon! :p

Creamed tomatoes over homemade biscuits....we had a lot of that growing up and it never got old.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
regular popcorn....not microwave. so many will not make it the old way anymore.

just a basic tomatoe sandwich. I love just tomatoe sandwiches and my friends think I am nuts.....what, just a tomatoe...LOL...heavens, it should never be that simple..HA HA

perogies....my family made tons of perogies...YUMMY....I don't think anyone makes those from scratch much anymore.

just some of the foods I can think of that are made or aren't made now.

hot cocoa...wow...that sounded delish!!!! When made on the stove it seems so creamy with milk...not that add water junk!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We do the popcorn and the tomatoe sandwiches!

I dreamed of having one all winter and couldn't bring myself to buy a mater from the store, as I knew it wouldn't be the same. Then came summer....I must have foundered myself on tomato and fresh Candy onion sandwiches this summer! YUM! :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA
yup, the worst time you want a fresh garden tomatoe sandwich is in the dead of winter...HA HA

store bought are just no taste compared to homegrown. YUMMO!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is too wierd. The boys and I made a huge batch of hot cocoa mix today. We use powdered milk, nestle quick, coffee creamer, and powdered sugar. Then you can either mix it with water or milk. I prefer milk but my DH likes to mix his with water.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
What a fun thread :) My mom made everything from scratch, so everything we ate seemed to be a bit unusual to kids whose moms (dads) did not. The thing that stands out, though, is her fresh raspberry pie. I would do just about anything to get my hands on one of those again!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I can remember when I was 12 or so, just begging my mom for a "store bought" birthaday cake. My friend's moms didn't cook so much so they all had them. I realize now how that must have hurt her feelings. She was a wonderful cook and made the best cakes. That year, I did get a "Doll" cake. The dress was made from cake with a plastic doll in the middle.

I sure would like to have one of her homemade cakes again...

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Grandma's homemade apple butter on toast....stor bought just doesn't cut it!

(oh yeah, and her homemade peach pie)