Home made......

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am reading these posts and tearing :)hit) up because I can almost hear the nostalgia in the posts.
Another thing my mother made, is homemade cinnamon rolls. Some people would call them sticky buns, but we refer to them as cinnamon rolls. Not store bought dough but fresh homemade bread dough made into loaves of bread and cinnamon rolls, so soft and sweet and....yes, sticky. MMMMMM. We only got those once a year- at christmas.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Kettle corn. Ad oil to the pan add popcorn, add sugar, --pop, and then salt. We make our popcorn in an air popper, I don't have a good popcorn pan, but I was thinking about this the other night when we had movie night. (Ike left us with a weekend of rain--so we watched movies.)

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My Mom made the best rhubarb pie and jam. There was also an oatmeal spice cake with peanut butter frosting that was one of my favorites. I made it once for a function at work and found it must just be a family favorite because not much of it was eaten.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Why does my Mom's food taste so much better than mine? LOL---no matter what I try to make like her, I can't. Just something about Moms cooking right???

It is nostaglic....I am just thinking about the good meals, the fun with all of us around the dinner table back then! Ahh..... :)

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Why does my Mom's food taste so much better than mine? LOL---no matter what I try to make like her, I can't. Just something about Moms cooking right???

It is nostaglic....I am just thinking about the good meals, the fun with all of us around the dinner table back then! Ahh..... :)
LOL My mom was a lousy cook (still isn't that great, although I've taught her a few tips, LOL) - she joined the army right out of high school, and never really had to learn much from Gran - or maybe she just didn't want to.

My Gran, however, and my Great Gran, woohoo!!! I remember a lot of great dishes from them. I have some of Gran's recipes on file, I make them a lot. I recently made some grilled chicken with the simple homemade glaze my grandpa used to do on special occasions, too. mmmm, brought back some good memories. He used to do grilled corn on the cob with his, I didn't have any of that to add onto the fire, maybe next time.

Peace -
Meriah

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean. I think maybe it is the love......or maybe it is that we dont have to cook it, clean up after it. Just "EATING" makes a big difference in the taste ya know lol.
Nostalgic.... right, I agree. I remember as a kid we ate what was in front of us and we had liver every month, among other good for us foods. The ways we found to get rid of the liver LOL. I remember shoving it down the leg of the chair I was sitting on, til I got caught. My mother used to tell me that I should continue to try food I disliked as a child because our tastes change (ya right mom:/). Well my tastes have changed, I love liver, I love over easy eggs, I love liverwurst. Still dont like blood sausage tho.
Do we have a recipe swap on here? that oatmeal cake sounds really good.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My mom was a lousy cook (still isn't that great, although I've taught her a few tips, LOL) - she joined the army right out of high school, and never really had to learn much from Gran - or maybe she just didn't want to.

*******LOL that is funny....but at least your Grans are great cooks! Hey, your mom went into a great career, the military....so she can be off the hook about cooking! LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The ways we found to get rid of the liver LOL. I remember shoving it down the leg of the chair I was sitting on, til I got caught.

*********HA HA HA HA
you had me cracking up with this...down the leg of the chair.....imagine finding that liver a week later..HA HA HA

I was lucky, when Mom cooked liver and onions for her and Dad, us kids got chicken noodle soup. No matter how hard, she couldn't get me and my 2 brothers to open our mouths..HA HA HA--she had to give up and open the Campbells.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
now i know you southern folk should remember this one, how about homemade fried apple or even better peach pies. I'd walk a mile through broken glass to get one of my great aunts pies again. she's making them for the angles now and im sure that is making them sing louder than ever :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
fried apple pies....wow...that is a staple in NC.....yes we would walk over glass to get them..HA HA HA

my mother in law's friend makes the best fresh ones. I tried, but they just don't come out like theirs..LOL

YUMMMmmmmmmmmmm!!!