Home made......

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I remember my Nana's (great gran's) chicken stew with dumplings. Big, soft, fluffy dumplings floating on top. Yum!

I made a great big pot over the fire at work last year (heritage site), and had lots of visitors come up and reminisce about their mums or grandmas making the best dumplings :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
One of the things that make great pies is lard, which is not used much any more -but what flakey pie crusts it makes.

I remember 4 great pies my mother used to make- apple, peach, lemon meringue and pumpkin. I'd give a lot for one of her peach pies too.

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ya know, this is the first REALLY cool day we've had so far this fall, and I'm in that Fall Cooking Mood - and you guys are not only making me hungry, you're giving me ideas.
(fried apple pies.... mmmmmmm)

LOL I better drop over to BYC to check on chicken stuff and stop reading here for an hour or so, LOL.

Peace -
Meriah

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
firem3 said:
now i know you southern folk should remember this one, how about homemade fried apple or even better peach pies. I'd walk a mile through broken glass to get one of my great aunts pies again. she's making them for the angles now and im sure that is making them sing louder than ever :lol:
Oh, wow! Those fried apple pies. :love My dad can now make them just as good as my mom did. Mine are pretty good, too, but just not the same as hers. :rolleyes:

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will be the first to admit that I have tried and tried to make pie crust. NO CAN DO. Impossible for me. tried failed tried failed etc etc.
BUT I did enjoy another cup of hot cocoa when I got home from work :D.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ooh, I had fun reading all the posts of your memories! I do miss my grandma's dumplins too! My mom's tried making them, but they're not nearly the same, nor as good. My mom's another one in the "can't cook" group. After reading the posts here, I think I realize now that it's b/c her mother wasn't around to teach her? She grew up w/ an ill mom (I think T.B. was one of the things she had?) so her mom was away at a hospital for a long time, where she couldn't visit her. She was raised by nuns for a few years. She got married at 18. So I guess there was nobody to really teach her. I never realized that 'til now. B/C she's getting better over the years, and yes, I've taught her a few things here and there as well. I was bound and determined to be able to feed my family well, instead of on the icky food I grew up with! :) Thank goodness for the Food Network! LOL! And my ex MIL, she's an excellent cook, and though she didn't "teach" me anything, she sure criticized that I couldn't teach! But whenever we were over there, I secretly watched how she did some things. And that taught me I didn't have to be such a stickler at following a recipe, I can just throw a dash of this and that in, those meals tend to taste the best!

Now something I ate often as a child, was my grandmother's stuffed cabbage rolls (my dad's mom) and her chicken 'n dumplins. I don't make those, I've never tried making them for my family. Don't know why! I love them! i dion't have recipes for how she did them. I never sat in the kitchen and watched her. I'll have to ask my dad if he knows!

I, too, am in the mood for fall cookin'! Wish i didn't have so much runnin' to do this week! Or I'd be cookin' all day tomorrow and the next.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
On the whole I make much more homemade stuff than my mom ever did. She was of the mind that if she went to work she wouldn't have to slave away in the kitchen any more... But she did make a few home made things.

Granola. It was really dark brown and good. I saw some for sale at a little cafe that looked an awful lot like mom's. It was $5.00 for a tiny little bag :ep

Popcorn on the stove. I made this the other day when we had some friends over. They were AMAZED, didn't know you could do it any way but in the microwave lol.

My DH is constantly talking about his mom's home made apple dumplings. I've made them from her recipe, but as you can imagine they weren't quite the same. Probably had to do with the fact that I wasn't about to put in the 6 cups of sugar that her recipe called for.

On the other hand our family has some really cute homemade christmas ornaments. Some are made from walnut shells or little pinecones, others are hand carved out of wood. If my house were to go up in flames they would probably be my one save. They are truly one of a kind and could never ever be replaced and as far as I know none were bought. They were all made with just a little bit of something that someone had.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
A while back, I needed to make some hotdog sauce. I dug out Mom's old recipe from when she owned a restaurant when I was little. It brought a warm feeling to see that faded recipe in my Aunt Betty's handwriting. Its called Coney Island Sauce and I never dreamed I could ever recreate that wonderful flavor. You guys know as well as I do that its almost impossible to find good hotdog sauce anymore. I hadn't tasted any since Mom's.

It worked! It was amazing! The only difference I noticed was the flavor of the hamburger was off, as one cannot find anything that tastes like hamburger in a store. The second time I made it I used deer burger and it was much better. People went crazy for it! Anyone want it, I don't mind posting it....you won't be sorry to have this little gem in your "old recipe" file.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed - I love coneys and would very much appreciate having your recipe. I have purchased a couple of brands in the past, but was disappointed. Thanks you for your offer.