Homemade bread in one hour

Kim's chix

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am definately going to try this! I wonder if you can use other types of flour in it? say rye or oat? Hmmmm!

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting insights here. :)

I did slice the shaped dough of my last batch and I like the way it turned out. Beautiful. I think I'll try adding moisture to the oven next time.

I, too, thought there was a huge amount of yeast in this recipe but it's really less than one yeast packet per loaf. Not bad. And for the time I save, I'll spend pennies more. No problem. I buy yeast in bulk vac packed block at Costco anyway and then divide it up into 1/2 pint jars and vacuum pack them for dry storage.

'Course, I know of an artisan bread that only calls for 1/2 tsp of yeast. It's a wonderful bread but it literally takes ALL DAY to rise.

I was told the recipe works fine without the mixer but, heck, if I've got one, I'm gonna use it. :) Soooo, if anyone wants to test this recipe out with out the stand mixer......do let us all know how it works out. :D

And, hmmmm. The description of the factory made bread....somehow makes me want to always make home baked. We recently had some store bought bread in the house - the expensive $4.50 a loaf stuff - with all the "sprinkles" on top. *shudders* It couldn't even touch the home made bread. I'm happy I'm making home baked a habit.:)

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've made this recipe twice now. The first was as written. The second I got jiggy with spices and flour variations. Both times it came out great. The house was exceptionally warm, so I cut the yeast in half the second time and it still came out great and just as fast. My family was super tickled by a ' quick yeast bread' and I like the idea that I can change my mind about whats for dinner and be able to give them fresh bread only an hour after I have finally decided. Thanks so much for sharing! This went straight to my recipe book after dinner :)

Chickenkitty

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I made the 2 loaf recipe today by hand. No mixer. We really liked it. A nice, heavy loaf. A lot of mising and kneading for these old arthritic hands but my DH says it was very good. Thanks for the recipe.

chickiemama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made the 2 loaf recipe and mixed it by hand because I forgot I don't have a dough hook. ::regular mixing thingys DO NOT WORK!!! ;) :: My husband informed me that from now on, we'll be eating homemade bread, so I guess it was a hit!

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! It was super easy!!! Even for me, who is a baking failure!

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
chickiemama said:
I made the 2 loaf recipe and mixed it by hand because I forgot I don't have a dough hook. ::regular mixing thingys DO NOT WORK!!! ;) :: My husband informed me that from now on, we'll be eating homemade bread, so I guess it was a hit!

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! It was super easy!!! Even for me, who is a baking failure!
Aaaw, I'm glad your family like it. Perhaps your husband will suggest you buy a dough hook. :) My husband will clean the entire kitchen for me so I will make this bread. ;)

chickiemama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I actually didn't mind the hand mixing. I like tactile things, so it's great for me! And saves power, blah, blah, environment, blah, blah...hahaha!

Latest posts