Homemade bread in one hour

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
chickiemama said:
I think that might be the wrong link...it's to the HP website ;)
So, it wasn't just me that got the HP site! Glad to hear that since I've been having some trouble w/my internet.

The bread looks good. When I have some spare time, I'm going to try it. I'd much rather eat home-made bread any day, but have never been able to find one that looks good for whole wheat bread.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just made three loaves of hawaiian sweet bread yesterday, but when those are almost gone I am trying this one!! Thanks. It is good to have some fast rising bread recipes, but with my regular ones I just let them rise on their own time while I do other things. Yesterday we were playing a game while they rose and baked.

I bake all our baked goods, every once in a while we will get some store tortillas or a pie if I am pressed for time.

Monica

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Buying yeast in small packets and making bread doesn't go well together. See if you can find the one to three pound bags of yeast, that saves tons of money if you bake a lot. There is usually a choice between "red" and "gold" yeast. The red is similar to what you usually get in the small packets and the "gold" is a faster rising yeast. I think the commercial folks use the gold yeast and don't have the second rise time, but I'm not a commercial baker and don't know.

Hawaiian sweet bread is good, although if you live in Hawaii, they call it Portuguese sweet bread. Do you have a recipe for it?

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hawaiian (portuguese) Sweet Bread

6-7C. flour
3/4C.mashed potato flakes
3/4C.sugar
1t.salt
1/2t.ginger
2t.vanilla
2pkgs.yeast
1C. milk
1/2C. water
1/2C. butter
1C.pineapple juice,room temp.
3 eggs, slightly beaten

Grease three 8-9" round cake pans (sometimes I also will use casserole dishes or regular bread pans). In large bowl combine 3C. flour, potato flakes, sugar, salt, ginger, vanilla and yeast, stir to blend. In med. saucepan, heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120-130*). Add warm liquid, juice and eggs to flour mixture. Blend on low speed until moist; beat 4min. on med. By hand, stir in 3C.flour to form stiff dough. On floured surface, knead in 1/2-1C. flour until smooth and elastic. Put dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel in warm location. let rise until doubled.

Punch down. Divide into three parts;form into round balls. Put in prepared pans; flatten slightly. Cover; let rise until doubled. Heat oven to 375*. Bake 25-30min. or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pans immediately, brush with butter. Cool. Makes 3 loaves

Monica

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ooooh, thank you, cknmom. I can't wait to try this! :D We LOVE Hawaiian Sweet Bread (especially with roast chicken).

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks! That looks like a great recipe! I wonder if it would work with mashed sweet potatoes? I'll be digging them up later this week and will have a lot more of them than Irish potatoes and we can't (well, "won't") afford potato flakes. We are at the tail end of the summer pineapples so we still have one of those and there's lots of fresh ginger around right now so that parts covered. If honey is used instead of sugar and oil instead of butter, my liver doctor will even approve the recipe, too. I'll try it and test it out on my Portuguese friend and see if he thinks it's a good recipe. I'll wait until after he's put in a couple hours of work and then put a slice of warm bread and coffee next to him and see what the reaction is. Add a bit of Portuguese bean soup and he might be in heaven.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know if it will work with 'REAL' potaoes or not. Let me know if it works.

Monica

Latest posts