Homemade butter

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I know I saw it SOMEWHERE but now I can't find it...a recipe for butter from storebought heavy cream. I reallllly need this recipe! If anyone could help, I;d owe you big time! ;) TIA!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can shake it in a canning jar, or put it in a stand mixer (can get messy.....but if you are alert, it is easier.) Some use a blender or food processor, I like to be more gentle on the cream.

At some point, small globules of fat will show up, and eventually will start to cling together. Pour off the buttermilk and use for baking or something else if you desire, and rinse the butter with cold, clear water, working it with clean hands or a spoon to get all buttermilk out or it won't keep well. There used to be ridged tools just for this purpose, but you can make do for a small batch.

Then salt your butter to taste if it is for the table, leave it unsalted if it is for baking. Pack it into a jar for admiring and using!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
You can put the cream into a quart jar, and use one whip on a handmixer.
With a stand mixer, use a towel over the top. If you have a Bosch, just put the lid on.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Thank you both SOOOO very much! :) I love this site, you all are so helpful! I don't have a stand mixer, so I think I will opt for the single whip on my mixer in a quart jar. TY TY!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I made it and it is GREAT! Thanks again!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I thought about getting some cream and seeing if I could make some. Then I saw the price of cream, plus it was ultra paseturized, and said forget it! I can remember making butter as a child when they still delivered milk door to door.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I thought about getting some cream and seeing if I could make some. Then I saw the price of cream, plus it was ultra paseturized, and said forget it! I can remember making butter as a child when they still delivered milk door to door.
I just wanted practice for when I get my goats. I know it will be too much for just my family to consume all that milk, and had never made butter or cheese. Figured this was a good way to get acquainted with the process :) It was actually fun.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I told my hubby I was thinking of breeding the goats and making cheese. He just looked at me. :rolleyes:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Deb sorry about your hubbys reaction. :lol: My hubby was much the same about all my farm adventures until the proof of difference in flavor and lower costs of producing our own was proven to be TRUE.

Now I'm the smart wifey with good ideas ;)

Husbands can be soo silly when it's not their idea :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You have to be clever about it. Youtube has some great videos of baby goats playing....there is one of a goat named Dale Jr. and a follow-up video that is absolutely ADORABLE! And one somewhere of a goat climbing all over a napping horse. I made dh watch those.

Then there is the "I'm doing this. Please support me. If it doesn't work out, I promise I will sell the goats" reasoning. That works with my personality and our relationship, your mileage may vary. Of course, it also means that all the work is mine, too! :p Once dh realized how good he has it on the dinner plate now, he has become very helpful. I told him today that we'd need grain this week, and his reply was, "I'll just go get some today!" And he did. I used to do all that myself since it was "my project."

He offered to milk for me on Saturday and Sunday mornings. :ya I hope that lasts into winter....so far, so good.

Latest posts