Homemade butter

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I can just imagine the look on my hubby's face if I told him to milk a goat! :gig According to him, he doesn't like the animals, but he has called me when I'm horseback riding to tell me what the goats were doing!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The first time he offered, I looked at him and said..."You can't wear your big leather work gloves to milk, you know." He would always "glove up" whenever I asked for any help with an animal. Even holding a tiny baby goat while I gave it an injection.

He's come a LOOOOONG way. I rarely call him CityBoy anymore.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"I just wanted practice for when I get my goats."

Sorry to be the party pooper but isn't making butter from goats milk rather difficult?

I thought the natural homogenized state made it so the cream did not float?

It is possible to do??

g

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
from my research (not personal experience - I want goats!!!), you can either use a cream separator or let the goat's milk sit in the fridge for about a week and it will separate, then you can collect the cream off the top and go from there

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I totally want goats also. I just kind of gave up on the whole butter thing. I didn't think it was doable.

A cream separator huh??? I will have to do some reading.

g

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Don't get me wrong. I totally want goats also. I just kind of gave up on the whole butter thing. I didn't think it was doable.

A cream separator huh??? I will have to do some reading.

g
I posted a link on here awhile back about cream separators.

eta: the link to that thread is http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6884

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm. I wonder what I've been doing wrong. When I shake up heavy cream it turns into whipped cream. Am I getting the wrong stuff?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You shake up heavy cream, it turned to whipped cream, but if you shake it MORE, it turns to butter. The whipped cream in the intermediate stage between cream and butter.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
You shake up heavy cream, it turned to whipped cream, but if you shake it MORE, it turns to butter. The whipped cream in the intermediate stage between cream and butter.
And you can do this all by shaking a jar? Guess I just gave up too soon. Might have to get a kid-proof container and let the boys help out a bit, lol.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Wifezilla said:
And you can do this all by shaking a jar? Guess I just gave up too soon. Might have to get a kid-proof container and let the boys help out a bit, lol.
Yep! Just keep shaking ;) I can remember this being a project in like 2nd or 3rd grade - teacher poured an 8 oz carton of heavy whipping cream into a mason jar, and each kid in the class took turns shaking until it started making "thump" noises :lol: This while in a lesson on cows/farming/where our food comes from, or somesuch