Homemade butter

Veggie PAK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
We've lost a lot of these skills, because of our paranoia about germs.
You are so right. It is a real shame. Hopefully, through sites like this one, people will get back to it.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In the last 6 months or so, since starting to read this forum, as a matter of fact, I have switched to butter, from the so called "heart healthy" margarine. I read one message here which said "I never pay more than $2 for a pound of butter. I get it on sale and freeze it." (Probably not a direct quote, sorry) Anyway, I tried the W-mart brand of butter for $2.29 a pound and it tastes terrible. Land-O-Lakes is wonderful, but the price just went up to $4.69!!! Prairie Farms brand is OK, not great, but at nearly $4 a pound, that is pretty much prohibitive, too. Which brands have you folks found that is good? Is the home-made with pasturized heavy cream better/cheaper than buying the butter already made? I don't have access to raw whole milk at this time.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe my taste buds are less discerning than yours but I get the Walmart brand butter, especially when it's on sale, then freeze. I also get store-brand from King Soopers (Krogers) and anywhere else I find it onsale.

Unfortunately, my husband is lactose intolerant so I still buy that "heart healthy" stuff for him.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I dunno--my sniffer is pretty good but didn't think I was very finicky taste-wise. Maybe it was just the change in taste from margarine to butter. I haven't tried the walmart brand in a few months now, but I am gonna try making my own, to see how I like that.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Oh, good thread to review for me- I have a pint of heavy whipping cream sitting in the fridge getting old (I don't remember why SO bought it now, but she bought 2 pints and only used one). I will try butter tomorrow. And I will use the buttermilk myself in oatmeal since no one but the chickens and me will eat it, probably. I'm looking forward to it!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using an electric ice cream freezer to make butter (without the ice)? I have a 32 oz container of heavy whipping cream. I'm thinking about dumping it into the freezer container and plugging it in. Would it turn fast enough for the needed results? Does it sound like I'm lazy?:)

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Has anyone tried using an electric ice cream freezer to make butter (without the ice)? I have a 32 oz container of heavy whipping cream. I'm thinking about dumping it into the freezer container and plugging it in. Would it turn fast enough for the needed results? Does it sound like I'm lazy?:)
That sounds like a good idea! Please let us know how it works!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It does sound like a great idea. The only pain-in-the-butt will be that you have to take it apart to see how it is progressing. But you'll learn approximately how long it takes for next time.