Homemade Christmas gifts

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Mrs. Puff mentioned this on another thread, that making homemade gifts is a good self-sufficient talent. And I know some things take alot of time to make, so that's why I decided to start this thread now.

What all do you pln on making for Christmas or other gifts for that matter.

Last year, I made bath salts and brownie mix in a jar.

Everybody loved the brownie mix, so I will be giving that out again this year, plus my sil mentioned she wanted some corn cob syrup so I canned three pretty 1/2 pint jars of syrup.

I'm thinking of going to Value village and getting some baskets and filling them up with some homemade things.

To prep for this, I am saving glass jars so I don't have to use canning jars (that I used last year and never got back) I think I wll also give some HM laundry soap with the recipe--stuff like that.

Have you guys thought about this at all yet? I realize it is September :)

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am going to make one of my work buddies a little cookbook with recipes I think she would like to bake. For my family, usually at least one person gets a small quilt or an embroidered object, like tea towels. For people that I only exchange very small gifts with, I give things like jars of dried mushrooms or homemade jams. Things like shelled nuts are nice also, as well as fancy dipped pretzels or chocolate truffles. Sometimes I give my mom a big pile of used books that I collect from book sales and such. She doesn't care if they're used.

And another thing- shhh--don't tell anybody: When I get gifts that I really don't need or like, I return them for in-store credit. Then I can save those cards to buy gifts later when I need to, or if I really need to buy something new for myself.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have been thinking about it all Summer!

I plan to make sugar and salt scrubs, bath bombs and I really want to try my hand at making soap...but since I don't have two pennies to rub together it is all on hold! :rolleyes:

I am also going to make that Captain Morgan rum Recipe someone posted a while back for the guys :)

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, and I posted something a while back about making bags out of wool sweaters. I've seen some around at some of the flea markets and stuff and they can be very pretty. I bet the instructions are online somewhere, but I think I first saw it in a Country Living or Midwest Living magazine last year.

Another Idea: For anyone who embroiders, there's a cute little book out now called "Doodle Stitching" with projects that are easy and fun. Things like embroidered jeans, headbands, skirts, tunic tops, pillowcases, scarves, etc. They are really easy and neat items, most can be made very inexpensively, and quickly depending on how fast you embroider.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We put together baskets every year. The gifts given depend on the person for whom they are intended.

As much as possible is home made:
Bath salts, bedwarmers, small herb planters, teas in jars, mixes in jars, home canned goods.

We also do my points, and save up gift cards for holiday giving. Sometimes I will find cookbooks for reasonable pricing and stick them in as well.

One of my sisters loves to use planter boxes. I have been able to find some really nice ones at reasonable prices (under $5) at local thrift stores.

Last year's Christmas baskets included:
Herbal tea mix, cake and cookie mixes, grape juice, apple pie filling, hot cocoa mix, canned peaches, canned blueberries, green tomato chutney, plum butter, peach butter, strawberry jam, peach syrup, a loaf of homemade bread, and family holiday cookies. Plus a bed warmer, homemade laundry soap, some gift cards for my nieces and nephews, and some recipes for using the canned fruits and mixes.

ETA: Sometimes for kids away at school, I make Comfort Boxes. They include a micro fleece blanket, hot cocoa mix, marshmallows, popcorn, soup mixes, and oatmeal.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I have a Baileys recipe floating around somewhere too--that might be nice?
Oh yes, I made that years ago along with Kahluaha (sP?) both were very well received!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bah Humbug, I am giving my husbands family coal this year. :smack

I usually bake for my Mom, and siblings. Maybe this year I will add jam or something as well.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One of my sisters has already requested a medley of sugar scrubs, as she had a large claw foot bathtub refinished and is itching to luxurate. I will also give her some homemade bath salts, milk bath and oatmeal bath. She will get a gift basket.

My other sis will probably get cash from me, as she needs this the most. We might also give her the gift of work...her house needs a lot of sorting, cleaning, organizing.

My Mom? What do you give the woman who has everything? Maybe some good books...she loves books!

The kids are easy and the only homemade present they would like is deer jerky!

The folks in my office DO NOT like homemade items...they have very little taste, to be honest. I'll probably have to spend money on them to be considered not cheesy. And I will have to accept similar gifts which I would never use......<sigh> :rolleyes:

Other folks will get homemade wreaths, dried flower garlands, baskets and wreaths and gift baskets.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Dace--Bath bombs? I must have a young son, because potty humor is the first thing that popped into my head :D

Tankshill--Sounds like an interesting story in there!

Beekissed--Your mom sounds awesome. I bet you 2 are going to have an awesome time living together!

For gifts (b-days), I give gifts all summer even though the b-days fall throughout the year. All the brothers and BILs get ice cream pails of refrigerator pickles and fresh salsa. My dad gets honey and maple syrup. My sister gets all sorts of fresh and canned food. I also love making and giving homemade caramels, truffles and fudge, biscotti. My mom enjoys pickled beets and roasted pumpkin seeds. Lots of friends get jam.

I try to find nice little jars for the jams and seeds.

This year, I've been making lip and body balm and giving that away too. I really, REALLY want to learn to make from-scratch soap this year with oatmeal, cornmeal and herbs blended in. I would like to get that for a gift, so hope others would like to receive as much as I would :)

I also weave baskets for anyone whose house isn't already full of my baskets. The nieces have all received at least 1 woven ribbon purse, too. My poor family!