Homemade Christmas gifts

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
The folks in my office DO NOT like homemade items...they have very little taste, to be honest. I'll probably have to spend money on them to be considered not cheesy. And I will have to accept similar gifts which I would never use......<sigh> :rolleyes:
Isn't that annoying? I would rather give/receive nothing than give/receive junk that uses earth's resources, costs $ and doesn't get used. Blech!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For our family, ( my side) we have a big get together here at my house....big dinner...singing Christmas carols....then the "gift grab" Everyone brings a gift..and we set them in a pile on the floor. Then we draw names from a bowl. When drawn, that person gets to go pick a gift, only if they brought one.....One year...we did this..and once you picked a gift, and opened it, if someone else had a gift you liked better, you could "steal" thiers..and give them yours. I didnt like this as much...there was one gift that got traded off alot..and that person who brought it felt terrible that no one wanted the gift she brought. :/ I made up a few baskets...canned veggies, ( corn, pickled beets) a 5 pound bag of taters, home made dinner rolls, 2 jars of jelly, and a certificate for a chicken, ( left that in the freezer untill they left) This year...I was blessed with lots of tomatos from my garden and friends. I was able to put up over 20 quarts and 20+ pints of spaghetti sauce. Soooooooo this years baskets will be sauce...home made pasta, home made french rolls, and canned peaches. ;) The baskets I usually get from good will..cheap!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
justusnak said:
For our family, ( my side) we have a big get together here at my house....big dinner...singing Christmas carols....then the "gift grab" Everyone brings a gift..and we set them in a pile on the floor. Then we draw names from a bowl. When drawn, that person gets to go pick a gift, only if they brought one.....One year...we did this..and once you picked a gift, and opened it, if someone else had a gift you liked better, you could "steal" thiers..and give them yours. I didnt like this as much...there was one gift that got traded off alot..and that person who brought it felt terrible that no one wanted the gift she brought. :/ I made up a few baskets...canned veggies, ( corn, pickled beets) a 5 pound bag of taters, home made dinner rolls, 2 jars of jelly, and a certificate for a chicken, ( left that in the freezer untill they left) This year...I was blessed with lots of tomatos from my garden and friends. I was able to put up over 20 quarts and 20+ pints of spaghetti sauce. Soooooooo this years baskets will be sauce...home made pasta, home made french rolls, and canned peaches. ;) The baskets I usually get from good will..cheap!
One of my sister's in-laws do that same thing. I usually take a "comfort box" or a "canned food box", as most of their "children" are just moving away from home or off to college. I use a box that computer paper comes in like you get from the Staples or Office Depot places, with good lids, for these gifts. Last year the comfort box was the number one stolen gift. :lol: It cost me $5 for the fleece blanket, $1 for popcorn, $1 for marshmallow, and $2 for large cappaccino style coffee mugs. The rest of the things in the boxes were homemade. :lol:

I think of the stolen presents as the Most Wanted, not the least.

edited for typos

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I'm working on homemade soaps and other bath products to give as gifts. I'll stick same scented items such as bath salts, soaps, bubble bath and body scrubs in a basket. I try to pick up new little items at Goodwill to go along with the theme.

This week, I got a still wrapped rose shaped candle to go in the rose scented basket. I also found a new pumice stone scrubber and foot brush (both still wrapped) that are blue and will go in the peppermint refresher basket.

I also have a few lap quilts made. I have a couple more in mind that I need to get done.

Jams, jellies, pickles and relishes are on the giving list, too.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What all do you pln on making for Christmas or other gifts for that matter.
I was already planning on limoncello to send to mom and sis. My mom already has everything, and my sister makes more money than me, so no point in trying to be extravagant. I can't afford it and they already have plenty of "stuff".

My sister sends me gift boxes of bratwurst from a butcher local to her. Yummmmmmm.

I also do the home made kahlua and a girlfriend of mine makes a killer homemade Irish Cream.

The sugar scrub is a great idea for someone who doesn't partake in alcohol. I will have to make a few batches...time to order some more jojoba oil. I LOVE that stuff!

me&thegals

Reaction score
Wifezilla--What is limoncello? I'm sure it's a dumb question. :/ Also, can you tell us how you make your sugar scrub? Sounds like a luxurious thing to enjoy in winter!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
About the sugar scrubs - will they still harden over time if I put them in an airtight jar?

I want to make some to put in gift baskets. Should I wait until closer to Christmas?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Wifezilla--What is limoncello? I'm sure it's a dumb question. :/ Also, can you tell us how you make your sugar scrub? Sounds like a luxurious thing to enjoy in winter!
Limoncello is an itaian lemon liquer. It is ver y nice for baking with.

Wife, can you post the recipe please?

me&thegals

Reaction score
Mmmm..... I'm thinking cheesecakes and biscotti. What do you all use limoncello in?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score