Homemade Deodorant

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Does anyone on here make their own Deodorant? I want to start making my own, I'm tired of worrying about the junk they put in deodorants and I'm sick of trying to find a good company that doesn't test on animals and isn't owned by a evil "big brother company"

So...does anyone have a recipe that is tried and true?

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry, can't answer the question... If nothing else, my mother swears by Crystal Deodorant. http://www.thecrystal.com/index.cfm

It's owned by French Transit, Ltd, doesn't test on animals, and doesn't have many of the questionable ingredients. Hopefully someone will have a recipe for you, but if not, it's there to look into.

:cool:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
When I was a teenager and we were too poor to buy much of anything, we made our own with a mixture of hand lotion....someone had given us a big pile of sample packets of a lovely rosewater lotion....and a mixture of cornstarch and baking powder. I put it in a fancy little cream jar someone had given me and would hide it in shame in the girl's locker room after gym class. One snooty girl caught me with it, and was REALLLLLY impressed at my super-fancy deoderant! :lol:

I've been seriously considering going back to it, but using essential oils that are deoderizing....teatree, lavender, and petitgrain. Maybe using homemade lotion as a base, that is on my list as well.

I just did some research yesterday and copied some recipes from this site: http://www.womens-menopause-health.com/bath_and_body.htm I plan on trying the Goat Milk Lotion and the Fabulous All Natural Face Cream, which is the base for the Natural Deoderant Cream, which is very close to what I described above. I believe I read that cornstarch can grow nasty stuff in it, so the arrowroot powder is much safer to use. My challenge now will be finding all the ingredients. I have many of them, but need to find a few more.

eta: that bit after the .com/ is actually bath_and_body.htm

donnaitaliana

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
i don't put anything on my skin i can't eat, i use pure coconut oil or baking soda, both work great, i have noticed since io stopped eating all things artificial i don't smell at all, unless i cheat and have choclate without pure vanilla in it, then my armpits smell real bad, but the coconut oil or baking soda sorts it out, use both seperately and sparingly.

ciao
d
xx

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Anny, I stumbled across this homemade deodorant recipe and thought I'd share.

3 Tablespoons shea butter
3 Tablespoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 Tablespoons cocoa butter
2 vitamin E oil gel caps (puncture and squeeze out the oil)
Essential Oil (I used ylang yang and orange)

I melted all the ingredients (except the oils) and gave it a good stir. This only took about 30 seconds in the microwave. Then added the oils, stirred again, and poured it in a jar, then placed it in the fridge to set. This recipe filled the jar in my hand, which is a 1/4 pint.

I'm going to give the link, because it's a blog so I don't think it's a competing site (as is not allowed by SS) Go ahead and remove it if I'm wrong.

http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2008/07/homemade-deodor.html

Country Momma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I made some this weekend.
Mixed: 1/4 c. arrowroot powder (like a cornstarch)
1/4 c. baking soda
5-6 T coconut oil
essential oils (optional)

Mixed all this together (I used tea tree oil) and poured in my old deodorant bottle. Let it sit overnight and by morning it was ready to use. The only thing I was dissapointed about was that it clumps a little when I put it on--instead of going on nice and smoothly. I probably didnt put enough coconut oil in (I ran out). Other than that, it works and smells wonderful! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I love mine, it works better than any commercial brand. I am brought back down memory lane, though, when I apply it just after shaving... :ep

I have mine in a small wide-mouth cosmetic jar and use a bit on my fingertips to apply. Works great.

jackj

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi!
Which is/are the best Antiperspirants/Deodorants?

Especially Working for men - the scent doesn't matter.
Which one makes you feel the freshest?!

Thank you!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Antiperspirants keep the sweat glands from being able to do their job properly. They are sending some liquid to your skin so the air can evaporate it and cool you down. Stopping that process isn't really healthy in hot weather, because it is trying to protect you.
A few ( like the deodorant stones) use ingredients that kill the germs that live around the underarms so you still sweat, but it doesn't stink. I love using the stones but if I'm dressed up in something that will look bad from the moisture - I will use the stone, then a little cornstarch or baking soda.
Most store bought deodorants just put some perfumes on there so you don't notice the smell.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
According to what I've read, Coconut oil has antibacterial qualities so it would help take care of that problem, it also smells good- so need for perfume. I do add a little baking soda for extra odor protection, and arrowroot powder to help with wetness. I've been using this for the last year, and so far no one wrinkles their nose when I'm nearby, lol