Homemade Deodorant

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I make a paste of extra-virgin olive oil, baking soda and essential oils.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use coconut oil, melted over a double boiler with some beeswax to firm it up and increase its melt temperature. When it's on the heat, I put cornstarch, baking soda, and tea tree oil in it. Pour it into baby food jars and dab on with fingertips.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Leta said:
I use coconut oil, melted over a double boiler with some beeswax to firm it up and increase its melt temperature. When it's on the heat, I put cornstarch, baking soda, and tea tree oil in it. Pour it into baby food jars and dab on with fingertips.
I like the sounds of this, I thinkI might give it a try. You could also play around witht he beeswax to make it firmer --to be like a stick deodorant. but you would have to stir it as it cools so the bakingsoda doens't settle to the bottom, just like th home made toothpaste.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Leta said:
That sounds like it would be too hard, actually. What degree coconut oil to you use? 92- or 76? Thanks :)

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
By hard, do you mean firm? Because it's not very firm, certainly softer than commercial deo. It's close to the consistency of lip balm.

I use about 1 cup of coconut oil and 3 TBS shredded beeswax.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Interesting. In normal temps, my coconut oil is so hard I need to chisel it out of my 50-lb bucket with a butcher knife. And the beeswax, of course, is even harder. That's why I wondered. Glad it works for you--it sounds nice!

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In the basement, my coconut oil and backup deos are hard, but in the bathroom they are soft. It's warmer up there.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we use the coconut oil, baking soda and arrowroot powder mixture, with no beeswax. It might get kinda soft in the heat of the day, but usually by morning the temperature has cooled enough to let it get hard again. The nice thing I've noticed is I don't even have to use it every day-- even my husband can get away with every other day-- and he works as a mechanic.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, enlighten me ... what is the coconut oil for? I understand that the soda and arrowroot are drying, and possibly odor hindering. But the oil? Is it just there to hold the other two in place? Or does it have a more active role?