Homemade Deodorant

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coconut oil has antibacterial properties, so it helps keep the bacteria that make you smell bad under control. Also, I tried just rubbing baking soda under my arms, and I got a rash; I think the soda was a bit caustic for my skin. The coconut oil helps with that as well (as does the arrowroot powder). I've heard of people using cornstarch to control wetness instead of arrowroot, but I have problems with yeasts and cornstarch is apparently a popular food of the little buggers

Funny story. The first time I made this, I thought I was going to be real clever; when it was cool, I packed it into an empty antiperspirant applicator. It worked just fine until the first warm day (coconut oil is solid until about 70degrees F). I didn't realize that those applicators are not solid on the bottom, so I came home to an unholy mess all over my counter top! On the good side, my bathroom smelled like a hawaiian holiday for a few days :lol: Now I put it into a pretty little covered tin with a demitasse spoon to dig out a pea sized amount and rub it on. I suppose I could keep it in my refrigerator, but I'm too lazy to walk into the kitchen just to put deodorant on.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, free and Britesea. I use coconut oil as a face cream, and to condition the ends of my hair; maybe I'll try the deodorant too.

TxCountryMom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
This is great information - thanks to all! I have tried all the commercial "natural" stuff from the health stores, which most of it wasn't really natural, and none of it worked. So, I have been just mixing cornstarch and baking soda together and scenting with whatever essential I am into at the time I make a batch. It has actually worked very well for me. It is such a mess, though - dusting with a powder puff, leaving me to clean up every morning, or have the powder that falls on my counter. I think I will try adding the coconut oil and see how that works out for me.

jess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Country Momma said:
I made some this weekend.
Mixed: 1/4 c. arrowroot powder (like a cornstarch)
1/4 c. baking soda
5-6 T coconut oil
essential oils (optional)
I've used this recipe (with cornstarch, and with no added essential oils) for years. It works wonderfully and is simple to make - you can just use equal amounts of each ingredient in whatever quantity you want.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is interesting. I tried just baking soda and cornstarch. It was fine all winter long, but in the summer - not so fine. The day I had actual smelly pits, I busted out the commercial stuff again. I'll have to try it again with the coconut oil.

jess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Marianne said:
This is interesting. I tried just baking soda and cornstarch. It was fine all winter long, but in the summer - not so fine. The day I had actual smelly pits, I busted out the commercial stuff again. I'll have to try it again with the coconut oil.
It'll likely help! Coconut oil actually works reasonably well on its own, without any additives - I've used it when I ran out of other deodorant.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Dragging up an oldie :)

I've read more about coconut oil and wonder if anyone would be willing to share how much starch them mix in with their oils. And do you melt and pour? I keep finding recipes where people mash the powder into the CO and then smoosh it into a bottle, and I keep wondering why not just melt and pour?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I imagine the powder would just settle to the bottom, plus someone mentioned that the containers are not sealed at the bottom and cannot hold liquids. I wonder if you could mix in wax or cocoa butter to help stiffen it up a smidge. I'm rough with my deodorant, a really soft deodorant would probably leave me with three inches of gunk under my arms. On the other hand, those lady's speed stick ones SUCK, I feel like I'm tearing the flesh from my underarms if I want any deodorant.