homemade laundry detergent/shampoo

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:D I make my own powdered laundry detergent.

We ran out of it a little while ago and I am under the weather with a super sized head cold, I told my hubby to run to the little grocery store and buy some. He came back and said there is no WAY he's going to pay $7 for a tiny little box, so HE made more.... :gig

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I made my laundry detergent with ivory soap and it seemed to all jell up and then left a film on my washer and I think it was clogging up my washer a little bit. I was able to find some Felts Naptha at the local grocery store...I have yet to make it and use it though. That would be a good thing to get done today!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I have castile soap because I cannot find fels naptha anywhere. I don't have the borax yet but I do have washing soda and baking soda. Once I get the borax I'm set!

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello! Lorihadams, how do you incorporate the castile soap into the homemade laundry soap recipes given above, or do you just use in on its own?

I have liquid castile soap. Is that what you use? I'd love some tips! My DBF has sensitive skin and we only use All Free and Clear, but I've really been wanting to make my own to save on cash. Which reminds me, how much do you all find you end up saving when you make your own at home?

Thanks!

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been making my own liquid laundry soap for just over a year. I love it. I use Ivory and it works and smells great. I put some in a spray bottle and use it to treat stains and it works better than anything I have ever used. I have gotten ketchup and chocolate out of my teen sons clothes with now problem - first washing even. :):D We use distilled vinegar in the rinse cycle and our clothes look and smell great. My second son has tons of allergies and sensitive skin and he has never had a problem with the homemade soap and vinegar in the rinse.

Oh - I had problems with the grated soap not disolving all the way, so I use the fine grater to grate my soap, but that might just be because I am impatient.

I just read in one of the Tightwad Gazette's that you can spray something on your carpet from a spray bottle or watering can and then use a wet/dry vac. as a carpet cleaner. We are going to try it with the laundry soap this weekend on my daughters closet carpet. One of the dogs decided that was a great place to go when he wasn't getting his way. I am hoping it will work and I will post early next week to let you know how it turns out.

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kristenm1975 said:
Which reminds me, how much do you all find you end up saving when you make your own at home?

Thanks!
I have a family of 5 and I had never calculated the savings. I can tell you that we used to use All Free and Clear, because of all the allergies and skin rashes, but in over a year of making my own laudry soap, this is what we have spent:
Borax - 1 box at $1.52
Washing soda - 1 box at $1.48
6 bars of Ivory soap - $1.98

If my math is correct, that is all we have spent in well over a year, we still have about 1/3 box of the borax and washing soda. I only have 1/3bar of Ivory left. We use the washing soda and borax mixed 1part each in an empty spice container as a cleanser around the house (it is great for polishing kitchen sink and gets soap scum out of the shower realy well) so, we have been using the powders for other things as well. We do an average of 10 large loads of laundry a week. I am sure that we were spending around $20.00 (?)a month before we started making our own laundry soap. I hope this helps!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I bought the bar castile soap...found it at Krogers but I found a group on cafemom.com called organic natural simple living and they have TONS of recipes for laundry soap, bar soap, home remedies, dog and cat food, everything! There were like 15 laundry soap recipes and you can use liquid castile soap. If you go on there and join the group, it's free, but it is a really good group of people and there are lots of useful tips. I can't believe I didn't look there first...duh.

Lori

cackleberries

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
I have castile soap because I cannot find fels naptha anywhere. I don't have the borax yet but I do have washing soda and baking soda. Once I get the borax I'm set!
Forgive my ignorence but is washing powder and baking soda the same thing? Also does anyone know can you use any type of bar soap? I don't want to ruin my machine. Im super excited to try this.