homemade laundry detergent/shampoo

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Does anyone make their own laundry detergent and/or shampoo? I am trying to find a good recipe for dry laundry detergent if possible...something inexpensive but as chemical free as possible...my kids have eczema.

I am also interested in finding a good shampoo that is also as chemical free as possible both for me and my children.

Thanks for the help,

Lori

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make my own (the recipe is listed here somewhere) but I also have been using this product which I find doesn't bother my skin, especially during the dry winter months. (I have not used on heavily soiled so I cannot vouch for its effectiveness) I order them off a amazon to get the free shipping. http://www.maggiespureland.com/
Also I forgot to mention I pre soak them in a cup of hot water since I wash in cold and I found them more effective when they soak. Use the steeping liquid in the load I wash then throw in the berries in the linen sack they come with and wash as usual. I do not even use fabric softener when I wash with them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There is a laundry detergent recipe on here and BYC, if I can find the thread. I use the liquid form of it, but there is a dry recipe also...they are very similar in ingredients.

Look at this site and tell me what you think...does this shampoo sound okay? I think I will try to get these ingredients together and just see for myself soon!

http://www.curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=974740

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also make my own laundry soap that is posted somewhere on this site, but you can also get the recipe I use here: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm . It is the liquid form, but I know others do basically the same thing in powder form. My youngest son has allergies and always got a rash from laundry soap unless we used All Free and Clear. We have been using the homeade soap for almost a year now and he hasn't broken out from it once.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
make it yourself Lori
here is Simple Life's fav laundry detergent she posted:

Powdered Laundry Detergent (My favorite)

1 cup grated Fels Naptha Soap

1/2 cup washing soda

1/2 cup 20 mule team borax

Mix and store in airtight container or bag. For light loads, use 2 tablespoon. For heavy loads, use 3 tablespoons.

To make a large batch - grate 6 bars of Fels Naptha Soap and then add 3 cups of Washing Soda and 3 cups of 20 Mule Team Borax. Mix well and store in covered container.

For the dishwasher

1 tablespoon borax
1 tablespoon baking soda
add vinegar to the rinse dept.

natural shampoo is harder---I found this on the net

Natural Shampoo
Clean your hair with these natural ingredients
Churn the following ingredients in a blender:
1 oz. Olive oil
1 egg
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
* teaspoon apple cider vinegar.

Never tried it but that is what they recommended...LOL---I would just use a natural soap bar to wash hair if necessary.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I read somewhere on BYC that just using an egg works for washing your hair. I have not tried it yet. (because I never think of it before I get in the shower) but with 20 million eggs sitting around I guess I really need to.
If I remember the post correctly - it takes a few washing for your hair and scalp to adjust - something about natural oil production.

Gee - I sure am vague this morning. Guess I need to go find that and get all the details.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been using homemade laundry soap on and off for the last 5-6 years. Faithfully, for the last 8 months. I'm happy with the results. I do use Spray and Wash to treat sometimes, especially my DH work clothes. But, I had to use that with store bought, too.
I use the liquid recipe.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How finely do you grate the soap? I have never grated soap and wondered if you use the smallest holes on a box grater or would they just plug up with the soap?
I am hoping to go to a bigger city next week and look for washing soda and Fels-Naptha, neither of which I can find where I live.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't use the finest grater, just the regular size. What I would use if I were grating cheese. I've never had a problem grating soap.

I should have mentioned that I use Ivory bar soap. It doesn't seem as harsh and leaves a very slight fresh scent.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea so many people I know who do their own laundry detergent use Ivory soap. super cheap and has a nice scent definitely!