homemade laundry detergent/shampoo

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Washing soda and baking soda are not the same thing. The Washing soda is made by Arm and Hammer and is sold in the laundry isle near the borax. We only have one store here that sells it. It comes in a yellow box. I can post a picture if you need one.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Washing soda and baking soda are different.

I have read where others have used Zote soap and one used Ivory. They all seemed pleased with the results.

ETA Sorry, slow typist here and you posted while I was looking for letters!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have used ivory, sunlight bars, stain remover bars, and I am going to try baby's own bars for a special baby detergent for my daughter. I think most any bar works.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ya know saving money and resources here is a biggie.

laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, homemade fabric softener, all so simple to make. Savings is huge vs. store bought and chemical load is kept to a minimum.

And you don't contribute to the global consumer as much.

The more we do ourselves, the better it is for our wallet and for our world!

I am so happy so many of us are learning to not take so much from this world. To say enough is enough about chemicals and such.....just feels good to know so many out there are like me and want some changes in the way our world is heading...COOL

hmm....back to laundry detergent..HA HA

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Store bought laundry detergents have alot of what they call 'phytoestrogens' that play havoc with our hormonal makeup...alot of times breast pain can be eliminated along with the laundry detergent:>) There are many other sources of these phyto estrogens as well but I haven't done alot of research on them yet..

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
interesting morel...didn't know that

AND WE ARE BUYING water.....yup as usual most things are "a little concentrate" of this chemical AND WATER.

Tide has a commercial on tv showing that the store brand has 3/4 water to actual detergent....and Tide...well they have only 1/2 water....whooppeee....so I am only buying 1/2 a gallon of water from them...HA HA

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
cackleberries said:
Thx ya all for clearing that up for me. Please post washing powder pic
I will post a picture tomorrow in the morning. I am working today. Atleast I get paid good money for today's work :D