homemade laundry detergent/shampoo

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
If you have liquid castile soap then just find a recipe for the liquid mix and use the castile soap. I have never used the liquid for laundry detergent but I did use the bar castile soap for the dry mix--tea tree oil, but you can use plain or any scent you like. I found the bar castile soap at Kroger's in the natural foods section.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Found zote soap, got borax, still no washing soda...grrrrrrr

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't find washing soda for anything around here or the fels naptha soap. So I substituted baking soda and ivory soap and it cleans pretty well. I would prefer to have the washing soda, it never even occurred to me to ask them to order it! :idunno

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
If you have a Krogers they usually carry the washing soda and the borax. I personally would not use fels naptha, we use bar castile soap or ivory depending on what store I'm in when I'm shopping.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Found zote soap, got borax, still no washing soda...grrrrrrr
When they start stocking the pool section of Walmart, or wherever, look for a container labeled sodium carbonate.

sundance

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My oldest son is a desil mechanic and gets both the transmission oil and everything else from a garage on his uniforms. if he FORGETS to carry them in I have found that the Doller general brand of Murphys oil soap, will clean and remove the odor from his uniforms. I use about a cup in the machine with his smelly clothes, also removes mold smell when you have forgotten something and it got moldy. Kroger carries fels nappa soap and the washing soda, if they don't have it usually the manage will orger it for you marrie

turney31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Dry laundry detergent - 2 cups borax 2 cups washing soda 1 cup all colored bleach 1 bar fels-naptha or zote. I use 2 or 3 tablespoons. I love this! I find all the ingredients at Krogers. I pay $1.19 for fels-naptha and $1.00 for zote.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
For really greasy clothes pour in one can of regular coke with your detergent.