homemade laundry detergent/shampoo

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Isn't it great when you can convince someone that paying more money for something doesn't necessisarily (forgive my spelling) mean that it's better!

I made homemade bath salts for my MIL with epsom salts, soap scents, and soap dye. Now she has a standing order for them twice a year....gets mad when I don't deliver on time!

I love the idea of making a gift basket for someone with homemade laundry detergent, homemade soap or bath salts, homemade cloth napkins, a loaf of homemade bread and a couple of laminated index cards with all the recipes on it so they can make their own when they run out.

I'm glad that my little question has sparked so much interest...(pat on the back)

:thumbsup

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
One of the amazing things is, it is a very "expensive" boutique-type gift and it only cost you a little bit of $$$ and not too much time if you are making the items for yourself anyways.

I just realized that I have some cute tins that I bought for next to nothing that will make great containers. I will make up several batches with my food processor tonight (when it comes out of the dishwasher and is nice and dry!) and store them in ziplocs and all in a big glass jar to keep moisture out. Then I have ready gifts! I will add some drops of essential oils just before giving, since they don't last as well.

I like to keep a stock of gifts for quick giving, this one will be perfect, and will make a great hostess gift, too. I think I will use it with my upcoming massage therapy class, as a prize maybe, sometimes I make a game out of exam review. Or sometimes I just need to wake them up (they have 4 hours of science before coming to me, which is extremely unfair to me!) and I put bits of paper with words (massage themed) into balloons and play some loud music with a beat, they have to keep all the balloons in the air until I turn off the music, then they each grab a balloon and pop it. Whoever gets the pre-determined word gets the prize. Really gets the blood going, wakes them up, AND I will be able to introduce some SS ideas at the same time without being preachy! (a challenge for me.... :fl )

Thanks for the thread, Lorihadams!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Acre of Blessings said:
Also here is a recipe I use for fabric softner....(follow instructions carefully)

What you need:
1 cup baking soda
6 cup white distilled vinegar
8 cup warm water
10-15 drops of essential oil (optional) for scent
1 gallon empty container ( I use an old fabric softner jug)

Directions: FOLLOW CAREFULLY
1.) Put soda in container
2.) Add 1 cup warm water and swish
3.) Add all 6 cups of vinegar A LITTLE AT A TIME because it will foam up quick (all I do is swish it around in the jug).
4.) Add 7 cups of warm water and swish some more. MAKE SURE TO VENT IT.
5.) Add essential oils (optional) for scent

Store and use as you would use store bought. Hope this helps you save some money. I just go ahead and stock up on the ingredients for both the detergent and softner. Let me know how you like it.
Acre .....does the container need to stay vented or just for a few minutes until the mixture settles?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Holy cow, I made 11 batches of mix before running out of washing soda, and I almost had enough for 12....if I'd measured more accurately, not rounding the half-cup, I'd have 12. Still plenty of Borax left. I used 3 bars of fels naptha and 2 bars of homemade soap.

That comes out to about $0.88 per batch, and 1.4 cents per load....is that even POSSIBLE? Why isn't everyone making this?

I will make up the liquid tomorrow when I find an appropriate bucket. Has anyone tried making it using half the water and using a 1/4 cup measure instead of 1/2 when using it? Then it will fit into a gallon container?

You know, I can't just follow instructions without wanting to turn it into this big experiment!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Then it will fit into a gallon container?
I don't know what measurements you are going by, Free, but my liquid mix fits into two~ gallon containers.

That comes out to about $0.88 per batch, and 1.4 cents per load....is that even POSSIBLE? Why isn't everyone making this?
I know! That's why we like getting "preachy" when it comes to SS! It just makes soooooo much sense to us and we can't see why other's don't see it! I've been told that its just easier to buy detergent. Easier? It takes me all of 10 min. to make a batch! How long does it take to drive to the store and purchase their two containers? :rolleyes:

The only drawback of the homemade, that I can tell, is that my whites are dingy over time. I've tried every method short of bluing to correct this but it just ain't happening. I'm just buying my socks, underwear and bras in colors now, that's all! :D

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
The only drawback of the homemade, that I can tell, is that my whites are dingy over time.
I haven't found this to be a problem for us. But, we do have a water softener and I know that helps with laundry. When remodelling this old farmhouse, we debated installing a water softener, but with our skin we knew we would benefit from it. It does not go to the kitchen so we are not drinking it.

I wonder.......since Borax helps soften water, maybe try adding an additional 1/4 to a load of whites.

As for socks.....my DH wears white socks. They are white until about the 3rd or 4th time he wears them. I don't worry about them. He's just a hard worker - gets dirty and sweaty! (What a good man.)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hope you are not shocked and horrified, but I bleach my whites at least every other load..... :hide

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I bleach them every load~and they are still dingey!! :( At first I thought it was my well water, as I get a brown silt in my commodes during periods of heavy usage. But my mom is having the same problem with hers. I already use more Borax than the recipe calls for. I don't have hard water at all, nor do I have soft water~I'd say its right in the middle. I have great water for drinking~its sweet and good.

I've switched from bleach to Oxyclean a time or two to see if this helps, but no. I'm thinking of trying some bluing?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That must be why our grandmothers (for me...for you, maybe great-grandmother!) used bluing....They also hung on the clothesline, and the sun is a great bleacher.

I guess I don't really care if my whites turn a bit grey, we just have dh socks and tighty-whitey's and a few towels that are more rags than towels. I will do his dress shirts with store-bought soap, I guess. Although I can see it coming that I will not be willing to pay the prices for store-bought!

Colored socks, underwear, towels, and dress shirts are more fun, anyways!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Can you believe it? They had all three at the store closest to my house. And CHEAP!!! The borax boxes seemed old and dented, and the Fels Naptha was in the bath soap section!!! But the washing soda was fresh and new. I got two of everything so I can send a kit to my folks, retired and on a fixed income. In fact, I just might make up a couple more kits (grating the soap and measuring out the other ingredients, it is amazing what overwhelms some people) to spread the word and help keep the supplies in stock locally.

And maybe win someone else over to the dark side..... ;)
Big Y is actually the only grocery store here where I can find washing soda. Our Walmart doesn't have it or the Fels.