Homemade laundry soap help please

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't remember what I found it for here, but I can see what it costs to make pure coconut oil soap and give the SS discount if it's close enough to the cost of Fels Naptha and Zote.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Bee. I'm pretty sure I can get the 7 oz bars of Zote for 59 cents.

I'll ship flat rate if any one wants some.

Gina

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I don't know about the US...but I know it cost me $8 just last month to ship my son a cell phone...so the shipping will definitely outweigh the product around here

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Morel, I'm sure you are right. It was just a stray thought floating through the vastness of space in my cranium....this happens quite often. You would think they would bump into one another but it rarely ever happens. :D

That is why every community needs to have a SS group that can buy a case of FN wholesale and split the shipping costs! :old

How's THAT for an idea? :frow

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Morel, I'm sure you are right. It was just a stray thought floating through the vastness of space in my cranium....this happens quite often. You would think they would bump into one another but it rarely ever happens. :D

That is why every community needs to have a SS group that can buy a case of FN wholesale and split the shipping costs! :old

How's THAT for an idea? :frow
Lol. Or order a case for themselves, then squander the rest away under the bed for when the SHTF. Lol. Could be a bartering tool.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I don't even think we can get FN in Canada, I spent ages looking for it when I first started making laudry detergent, and then resorted to the sunlight bars...which are also great for using to get rid of swimmers itch...2 birds with one stone...problem is, I keep forgetting to put a bar of sunlight on the boat...ugh!

Gallina Vecchia

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you know a soaper, have them make up a batch of 0% superfatted lard/lye for you. I used to buy FN, but started making my own laundry bar to grate up. I make about 5# at a time. Pour it into a cardboard box lined with a garbage bag.

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Gallina Vecchia said:
If you know a soaper, have them make up a batch of 0% superfatted lard/lye for you. I used to buy FN, but started making my own laundry bar to grate up. I make about 5# at a time. Pour it into a cardboard box lined with a garbage bag.
I was just about to ask if you could make the soap yourself!!

Does anyone know what a recipe would be for a coconut oil soap like the one you buy for making the laundry soap. we don't have that stuff here in NZ, plus I would like to make the whole thing myself.

lnm03

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I had a hard time finding it too!! They didnt have it at the meijer by me so I called around to the hardware stores and found it at the do it best store. good luck!!

lovemychicks9

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I live in South Carolina and it is difficult to find but I find another one called Octagon . It has a lemon grass fragrance to it , seems to be alot milder than Fels and it works great on the laundry. I find it at Food Lion , Bi Lo and Publix. It runs .79 cents a bar . It is also a softer soap and easier to grate.