Homemade Liqueurs

doc_gonzo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
leta,

must be the super yeast because most wine and beer yeast dies out and quits fermenting at 22 or23%. just checked the midwest brewing and wine making catalogue (our main supplier) and they don't list a super yeast. where did you find the super yeast, i'm always looking to add a little tweak to a brew project.

cheers

doc

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SuperYeast:

http://homebrewcompany.com/homebrew..._Code=THC&Product_Code=2300&Category_Code=382

For flavors, you can buy tiny bottles of LiquorKwik. They cost $5 each, and they have kahlua style. Or, you can make a coffee syrup. There are two ways to do this; one is to make a basic chocolate syrup and add instant coffee crystals do it, and the other, turbocharged way, is to take a dark rum like Myers and add coffee beans, cocoa nibs, cinnamon sticks, an orange peel, vanilla beans, and a whole bunch of sugar and shake it all up and let it sit for at least a week. Then you "water" either syrup down down into something less thick and sweet with Everclear, homemade booze, or, for something really klassy and delicious, a nice smooth white rum or a really clean vodka like Ketel One.

I sound like a lush. I'm not, I swear, but I did tend bar for five years. :D

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Reviving this thread since I was looking for it to make raspberry liqueur with the leftover raspberries. But I want to know- how do you make home made Bailey's??

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Oh, they sound delicious! Now just have to go buy the sweetened condensed milk and cream since we don't have that- we actually have whiskey from when BIL was visiting that no one here will ever drink. I have just found a use for it!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saw this recipe for Rose Liquer today. I have a little rose plant and was trying to find something useful to do with the roses...

Ingredients

A quart sized jar with a tight fitting lid
A decorative display bottle
6 cups rose petals (Avoid roses that have been sprayed with pesticides.)
2 cups granulate sugar
1 bottle brandy (The better the brandy the better the liquor will be.)
1 cup of water

Directions for Rose Liquor

Wash and rinse three to five cups of rose petals and place them in the quart jar. They should fill the container but not be so closely packed that there's no movement when you jiggle the jar back and forth.

Add enough brandy to cover the petals completely. This is important or the mixture could get moldy.

Cap the jar and place it in a warm spot for a month to six weeks, shaking it every few days.

At the six week mark, combine the sugar with a cup of water and heat on low, stirring until the sugar dissolves.

Add a cup of fresh rose petals to the sugar water (use a cup and a half if the petals are small) and continue stirring until you can smell a strong rose aroma. Sorry. I'll take a thermometer reading next time.

Strain the syrup through a length of cheese cloth, cool and add it to the brandy mixture.

Let the batch sit on your countertop for another two weeks -- again, shaking every few days.

Strain the brandy through cheesecloth and into the decorative bottle. It should smell strongly of roses and taste wonderfully summery and sweet.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I ran accross this recipe today for Lemon Balm Liquer.

Lemon Balm Liquor

Glass jar with a tightly fitting lid (I use a gallon jar, but you can certainly go smaller.)
3 cups fresh lemon balm leaves
12 lemons (Using organically grown lemons with no pesticide residue is a good idea.)
1 cup sugar
1 bottle (80 proof) unflavored vodka (750 ml)

Instructions

Wash and bruise the lemon balm.

Zest the lemons (you'll be using the lemon zest only). Include as little of the white, spongy pith as possible.

Combine all ingredients and add to the jar. Shake vigorously and place the jar in a warm, dark location for two to three weeks. Give the jar a shake every couple of days. The warmer it is in your home, the shorter the curing time.

Strain the liquid through a length of cheese cloth into a display bottle, or use a funnel to return the mixture to the original vodka bottle.

That's it.

Serve this brew chilled.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You don't need to buy sweetened condensed milk. And if you use condensed milk, you don't need cream. This recipe is from "Cheaper and Better" by Nancy Byrnes. Parts of it are a bit dated, but still a very good book and worth reading.

Sweetened Condensed Milk

2 cups dry milk

1.5 cups sugar

2/3 cup boiling water

6 tbs melted butter, slightly cooled

Mix dry milk and sugar together, then slowly add the boiling water. Stir in the melted butter. Whip until smooth. Freezes well.

We got the fake bailey's liquourkwik mix with our homemade white liquour, and added the above recipe to it (after decanting, NOT before).
We labeled the bottles "O'Brague's Irish Cream" , O'Brague being a portmanteau of our last names, which are both Green Irish. (Yes, I kept my name when we married.)

It was a big hit!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just checked on my plum liqueur (I've got it stored in a dark cabinet). It's looking quite yummy... a rich dark red. But darn, still another 3 months to go before I can try it!

Latest posts