Homemade lotion

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Anyone have any good lotion recipes?

I tried one tonight.

So the lotion recipe I found is a bit different than most of the store ones. More oily, but I can actually use this unlike the body butter. The added water helps put a thinner layer that actually soaks into my skin.

I can smell the shea butter in it, but it's covered enough that the lotion doesn't fully smell like old dolls. I don't mind this so much. Next batch I'll add some scent oil. The rosemary oil doesn't cover it enough. Maybe some citrus.

Calendula tisane, calendula and comfrey extracted in almond and olive oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, beeswax mixed with borax and lecithin as an emulsifier, lanolin, jojoba oil, castor oil, rosemary essential oil, vitamin E, tea tree oil

Only took me 4 hours to make it. Sigh.

Going to stick one container in the freezer to see what that does to it. Shelf life is only 6 months, so if freezing doesn't harm it, that will extend it much longer

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, the thickness seems to actually be a plus. Hubby loves it. Mom claimed 2 jars when I told her how thick it is. Then hubby stole a jar for a coworker.

The thickness also makes putting it in tight places, like the crease of my ear where my eczema decided to pop up a few months ago and wasn't going away.

6 days and the eczema is light and hopefully will be fully healed in a week.

I used a mole remover on the big one on my cheek a week ago. I started this lotion on it after day 3 when the mole fell off. 3 days later and the skin on the cheek was fully healed. It actually surprised me how fast it healed.

So I'm happy with how it's working. I do need to make thinner one that works in a squeeze bottle instead of a 1/4 pint mason jar.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Homemade emulsifier wax
80% beeswax
10% borax
10% liquid lecithin

Melt wax then add lecithin and borax. Stir until well mixed.
Must be made fresh. Does not keep

Lotion
2 parts liquid oil
1 part solid oil
1 part emulsifier wax
4-6 parts water, herbal infusion, aloe vera juice, or other water liquid
1 drop rosemary essential oil per 110 milliliters (4 oz) total liquid
1 milliliter vitamin E oil per 240 milliliters (8 oz) total liquid

All items must be at the temp to keep beeswax melted while mixing. I used mason jars in pans of low simmering water.

Heat liquid oil. Add solid oil until melted. Mix well. Add emulsifier. Add Vit E and rosemary oil. Using mixer, slowly add water until it comes together at consistency a bit more liquid than desired. Will thicken as it cools.

Pour into containers.

My too thick batch has 3 cups of water. I used a very strong calendula infusion. I used almond and olive oils that I oil extracted calendula and comfrey in ahead of time. I used a teaspoon of castor oil in my liquid oil mix.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I used a mole remover on the big one on my cheek a week ago. I started this lotion on it after day 3 when the mole fell off. 3 days later and the skin on the cheek was fully healed. It actually surprised me how fast it healed.
Please tell me about this?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The mole remover? It was Haloderm Mole and Skin Tag remover. Ordered it off Amazon. Not sure if you can get it where you are.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Homemade emulsifier wax
80% beeswax
10% borax
10% liquid lecithin

Melt wax then add lecithin and borax. Stir until well mixed.
Must be made fresh. Does not keep

Lotion
2 parts liquid oil
1 part solid oil
1 part emulsifier wax
4-6 parts water, herbal infusion, aloe vera juice, or other water liquid
1 drop rosemary essential oil per 110 milliliters (4 oz) total liquid
1 milliliter vitamin E oil per 240 milliliters (8 oz) total liquid

All items must be at the temp to keep beeswax melted while mixing. I used mason jars in pans of low simmering water.

Heat liquid oil. Add solid oil until melted. Mix well. Add emulsifier. Add Vit E and rosemary oil. Using mixer, slowly add water until it comes together at consistency a bit more liquid than desired. Will thicken as it cools.

Pour into containers.

My too thick batch has 3 cups of water. I used a very strong calendula infusion. I used almond and olive oils that I oil extracted calendula and comfrey in ahead of time. I used a teaspoon of castor oil in my liquid oil mix.

Have you tried whipping it with a hand mixer for a luscious body butter?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Hinotori , I freeze my Jewel weed/plantain lotion. It freezes very well. Older jars that have been left at room temp get granular. But, I notice that the grainy bits do dissolve after contact with warm skin. Any comments on the way some lotions get grainy or even have crystals in them with age, and what might be done to prevent it?