Homemade lotion

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori , I freeze my Jewel weed/plantain lotion. It freezes very well. Older jars that have been left at room temp get granular. But, I notice that the grainy bits do dissolve after contact with warm skin. Any comments on the way some lotions get grainy or even have crystals in them with age, and what might be done to prevent it?

Im not sure. Moms had that issue with crystals in her body butter.

I still have one jar of lotion that's a year old in the freezer. It's extra thick and is the only thing that helps with the contact dermatitis I get if I use earbuds.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anyone have any good lotion recipes?

I tried one tonight.

So the lotion recipe I found is a bit different than most of the store ones. More oily, but I can actually use this unlike the body butter. The added water helps put a thinner layer that actually soaks into my skin.

I can smell the shea butter in it, but it's covered enough that the lotion doesn't fully smell like old dolls. I don't mind this so much. Next batch I'll add some scent oil. The rosemary oil doesn't cover it enough. Maybe some citrus.

Calendula tisane, calendula and comfrey extracted in almond and olive oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, beeswax mixed with borax and lecithin as an emulsifier, lanolin, jojoba oil, castor oil, rosemary essential oil, vitamin E, tea tree oil

Only took me 4 hours to make it. Sigh.

Going to stick one container in the freezer to see what that does to it. Shelf life is only 6 months, so if freezing doesn't harm it, that will extend it much longer

Homemade Lotion Ingredients
  1. 1/2 cup almond oil or jojoba oil (or any other liquid oil)
  2. 1/4 cup coconut oil.
  3. 1/4 cup beeswax.
  4. 1 tsp vitamin E oil (optional)
  5. 2 TBSP shea butter or cocoa butter (optional)
  6. essential oils, vanilla extract, or other natural extracts to suit your preference (optional)
And to add more up... Everything in this recipe is pretty much optional :D:D:D:D

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That would be a body butter or balm. Lotions are emulsions of water and oil. Oil to water ratio differentiates between lotions and creams. Butters are still good things and very helpful.

My skin doesn't do well with butters. Too much oil for my type. That's why I'd been searching high and low for actual lotion recipes.

Mom has very dry skin so I make her body butter. Well technically I guess I make her salves as I infuse herbs in the oils I use. It's done wonders for her. It's also helped my young niece who carries a small container with her for the patches she gets that no doctor prescribed or OTC product helped at all. It's not a cure but she's at the age where she started being body conscious and the patches not being visible made her happy.

The lotion I messed up that doesn't have enough water turned out to be wonderful. Ive been trying to recreate it. It works on my eczema flare ups like nothing else. It cleared up the thick dry patches on Moms elbows that she's had since high school. I think she almost cried over that. She does have to keep applying it so it didn't cure it, just dealt with symptoms. Needless to say, the last few jars are hidden in our freezers.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That would be a body butter or balm. Lotions are emulsions of water and oil. Oil to water ratio differentiates between lotions and creams. Butters are still good things and very helpful.

My skin doesn't do well with butters. Too much oil for my type. That's why I'd been searching high and low for actual lotion recipes.

Mom has very dry skin so I make her body butter. Well technically I guess I make her salves as I infuse herbs in the oils I use. It's done wonders for her. It's also helped my young niece who carries a small container with her for the patches she gets that no doctor prescribed or OTC product helped at all. It's not a cure but she's at the age where she started being body conscious and the patches not being visible made her happy.

The lotion I messed up that doesn't have enough water turned out to be wonderful. Ive been trying to recreate it. It works on my eczema flare ups like nothing else. It cleared up the thick dry patches on Moms elbows that she's had since high school. I think she almost cried over that. She does have to keep applying it so it didn't cure it, just dealt with symptoms. Needless to say, the last few jars are hidden in our freezers.
Homemade Lotion Ingredients
  1. 1/2 cup almond oil or jojoba oil (or any other liquid oil)
  2. 1/4 cup coconut oil.
  3. 1/4 cup beeswax.
  4. 1 tsp vitamin E oil (optional)
  5. 2 TBSP shea butter or cocoa butter (optional)
  6. essential oils, vanilla extract, or other natural extracts to suit your preference (optional)
Everything it is optional in duration depends on what consistency you need..

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anyone have
The mixer whips it. It's liquid until cool. It doesn't react the same as body butter because of the water.
I make body butter for mom.

any good lotion recipes?

I tried one tonight.

So the lotion recipe I found is a bit different than most of the store ones. More oily, but I can actually use this unlike the body butter. The added water helps put a thinner layer that actually soaks into my skin.

I can smell the shea butter in it, but it's covered enough that the lotion doesn't fully smell like old dolls. I don't mind this so much. Next batch I'll add some scent oil. The rosemary oil doesn't cover it enough. Maybe some citrus.

Calendula tisane, calendula and comfrey extracted in almond and olive oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, beeswax mixed with borax and lecithin as an emulsifier, lanolin, jojoba oil, castor oil, rosemary essential oil, vitamin E, tea tree oil

Only took me 4 hours to make it. Sigh.

Going to stick one container in the freezer to see what that does to it. Shelf life is only 6 months, so if freezing doesn't harm it, that will extend it much longer
Does anyone have a better recipe for a lotion? I tried the one before, seems like my skin is not compatible, I somewhat need a more neutral Ingredient. thanks!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Try my poison ivy salve. It's oily, but it soaks right in, leaves my skin feeling baby soft. You can find the recipe post # in the first post index.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Try my poison ivy salve. It's oily, but it soaks right in, leaves my skin feeling baby soft. You can find the recipe post # in the first post index.
Thanks for sharing. we a lot of those growing around my cousins backyard. finally... someone found some good use for them.. thanks again for sharing.. we will be making our own after we gathered enough..

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I usually fill a pint jar 3/4 full and add oil. I can start doing half full. Some of the herbs I don't get a lot of.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did hot infusion for my PI salve. I have some calendula blossom/olive oil that's been sitting in the cabinet since mid summer. I've not strained out the calendula. think it's still good?

Latest posts