Homemade lotion

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm totally addicted to making lotions at home now, thanks to Rosemary Gladstar. She has a recipe for a cream she calls "Rosemary's Perfect Cream" and she ain't kiddin'!! It IS perfect. Naturally, after following the instructions to the letter the first time through, I've commenced fiddlin' and now have two other variations on the theme stocking my herb room shelves.

Anyone else try this stuff? It's AMAZING! Everyone who tries a sample raves. I'd love to hear what other folks are doing for lotion, and I mean the genuine white creamy kind.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Are you going to leave us hanging, or can you post the recipe? :) Pretty please!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
How nice of you, thanks !!!

I am allergic to lanolin. I wonder if it is an absolute requirement.

Gallina Vecchia

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am sure you can leave that little bit out. I make a cream similar to this for myself:
1/4 teaspoon borax
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil, or oil of your choice
1/2 ounce (by weight) of grated beeswax (2 slightly rounded tablespoons)

Dissolve the borax in the water. Set aside.

Combine the oil and beeswax in a small double boiler or 2 cup glass measuring cup. Heat over hot water until melted and clear.

In a separate pan, Heat the borax/water mix almost to boiling.

Slowly pour the borax/water mixture into the oil/beeswax mixture, using a stick blender to mix as you pour. Beat well with the stick blender until the mix is glossy and thickened up somewhat. It will thicken more upon standing.

Pour the face cream into an 8-ounce jar with a lid.

Cool to room temperature before using.
This can be made without the borax if you don't want to use it.

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Didn't mean to leave you hanging! :) I'm not sure what the rules are on posting recipes found in books so I didn't write it down, but I found it on another site, so here it is:

. . . BODY CARE

Rosemary's Perfect Cream
VE, GF, SF

This recipe was published in Herbs for Health magazine and is an excellent all-purpose skin cream created by revered herbalist Rosemary Gladstar.

Ingredients

WATERS

2/3 cup distilled water--OR distilled rosewater or
-- orange flower water)
1/3 cup aloe vera gel
1 - 2 drops essential oil of choice
Vitamins A and E as desired

OILS

3/4 cup apricot, almond or grape seed oil
1/3 cup coconut oil or cocoa butter
1/4 tsp lanolin
1/2 - 1 oz grated beeswax

Directions

1. Combine distilled water, aloe vera gel, essential oil and vitamins in a glass measuring cup. (Tap water can be used but it will sometimes introduce bacteria and encourage the growth of mold.) Set aside.

2. In a double boiler over low heat, combine remaining ingredients. Heat just enough to melt.

3. Pour oils into a blender and let cool to room temperature. The mixture should become thick, creamy, semisolid and cream coloured. This cooling process can be hastened in the refrigerator, but keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too hard.

4. When cooled, turn blender on the highest speed. In a slow, thin drizzle pour the water mixture into the center vortex.

5. When most of the water mixture has been added to the oils, listen to the blender and watch the cream. When the blender coughs and chokes, and the cream looks thick and white like butter cream frosting, turn off the blender. You can slowly add more water, beating it in by hand with a spoon, but don't over beat! The cream will thicken as it sets.

6. Pour into into cream or lotion jars. Store in a cool place.

I just made another batch of it last night and it turned out beautifully, despite having an aggravating interruption when my brand-new blender didn't work. :somad I ended up dumping it out of the blender, half-processed, and putting it into a big plastic bowl and mixing it up the rest of the way with the beater. I may have over-beat it as its much stiffer than the the first batch, but still, GOOD stuff! :) Just the smell of it puts a smile on my face.

I don't sell the cream at this point, but I'm looking into doing so, although I would not use this exact recipe. I would add a few things to make it my own, see what works best.

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just made a batch of this, reworked to be an insect repellent. I substituted safflower for the coconut that's called for, and added essential oils of the following:

eucalyptus
lavender
citronella
lemongrass
juniper
clove
basil
cedarwood
geranium
sage
pine needle

Aside from cooking the lotion accidentally in my new Vitamix, it turned out well. The lotion I put into plastic containers separated, but the ones in glass did not. Hmm. Still working that one through in my head. Anyone with clues?

What I would do next time: I would narrow down the list of essential oils. The smell is a bit overwhelming. Also, I would use the Vitamix on a lower speed to avoid cooking.

I have tested the lotion hiking in the Olympic Peninsula and didn't get a single bug bite or even really see bugs. The question is, were the bugs just really light, or does my lotion REALLY work well? Jury's out.

I'll be conducting another test this weekend, camping next to a lake in the woods with my family.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have been making my own lotions for a long time. My favorites are shea butter based. I add olive oil and coconut oil to soften it. Sometimes I add fragrance, but usually I am too lazy :D It ends up having a mild nutty scent and I am fine with that.

If I am out of shea butter I just mix olive oil and coconut oil and use it after showering.