Homemade lotion

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
kristenm1975 said:
I just made a batch of this, reworked to be an insect repellent. I substituted safflower for the coconut that's called for, and added essential oils of the following:

eucalyptus
lavender
citronella
lemongrass
juniper
clove
basil
cedarwood
geranium
sage
pine needle

Aside from cooking the lotion accidentally in my new Vitamix, it turned out well. The lotion I put into plastic containers separated, but the ones in glass did not. Hmm. Still working that one through in my head. Anyone with clues?

What I would do next time: I would narrow down the list of essential oils. The smell is a bit overwhelming. Also, I would use the Vitamix on a lower speed to avoid cooking.

I have tested the lotion hiking in the Olympic Peninsula and didn't get a single bug bite or even really see bugs. The question is, were the bugs just really light, or does my lotion REALLY work well? Jury's out.

I'll be conducting another test this weekend, camping next to a lake in the woods with my family.
Catnip oil is supposed to be really good in insect repellent, but its super expensive!

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We somehow have ended up with a flea infestation at home and my poor hubby, who seems to always get the lion's share of the bites, used some of my new insect repellent lotion. It seems to be as effective in soothing the bites he already had as it is in preventing new bites. What a good deal!

Now, we just need to salt and DE the whole house and launder everything and vacuum repeatedly to clear up the infestation. Oh yeah, and try that dish of soapy water under a nightlight at a low level trick. We'll see how fast we can clear the place up.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Reviving this thread for the dry winter skin problems! I have a lot of oils around from soaping, and I want to make a nice overnight skin cream. I have shea, coconut oil, vitamin E oil, lanolin, olive oil. Anyone care to post a recipe? WZ- your ingredient list sounds like my list of supplies. How much water do you add, and how do you know it is thick/thin enough?

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have that book, but I haven't tried making the lotion yet. I have a bunch of beeswax I saved up from my own bees this summer and I've been trying to decide what to do with it. This sounds like a winner.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience in using clays for body and skin care? I've always been curious about it!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
valmom said:
Reviving this thread for the dry winter skin problems! I have a lot of oils around from soaping, and I want to make a nice overnight skin cream. I have shea, coconut oil, vitamin E oil, lanolin, olive oil. Anyone care to post a recipe? WZ- your ingredient list sounds like my list of supplies. How much water do you add, and how do you know it is thick/thin enough?
I wish there was a perfect solution for me, I absolutely hate oiling feeling on my hands, and yet my hands crack and bleed from being so dry in winter... they've already done it once this season. Very frustrating, I have tried to use lotions or oils and I can't stand them on my hands for longer than two minutes..

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Don't suppose my soap has helped? Sorry Cheryl =\. Maybe I need to come up with another recipe.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for the recipe :) I want to try this out this winter. I make body balm, but sometimes cream is just the thing.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
valmom said:
I wish there was a perfect solution for me, I absolutely hate oiling feeling on my hands, and yet my hands crack and bleed from being so dry in winter... they've already done it once this season. Very frustrating, I have tried to use lotions or oils and I can't stand them on my hands for longer than two minutes..
My solution to this is to slather udder cream on my hands at night before I go to bed and put gloves on. Annoying, yes, but I usually dont take long to fall aslepp, so I am only annoyed for a short amount of time. In the morning, I take the gloves off and my hands feel like a baby'e bottom. I wash my hands so many times in a day, it's the best solution for me.

Latest posts