Homemade lotion

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Don't suppose my soap has helped? Sorry Cheryl =\. Maybe I need to come up with another recipe.
I think my problem is I wash my hands toooo often, and sometimes in the kitchen with dish-soap.

I need to make some knitted wool fingerless gloves and sleep with oil on my hands with the gloves on or something, I don't know if that would bother me so much that I wouldn't sleep........ :rolleyes:

Humidity is SO low right now - we're at 5% - its just horrible.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Love the idea of making your own lotion. I had stocked up a lot before leaving my job but I'm going to run out late this winter or so. I will have to try this.

Someone asked about using clays? I use clay to draw things out (like a sting or infection). Also mix a green clay with ACV for a face mask. It works well but if your skin is sensitive it can irritate/redden it temporarily. I haven't used it in some months. Good time to start again. I just mix a small amount -- few tablespoons maybe -- of clay and ACV into a paste, apply to my face, and leave on for 10-12 minutes. I canprobably go 15-20 if I want, but the first time don't go too long. See how your skin reacts. Then it will dry, harden, and you just wash it off. It draws out impurities and tightens the skin. If you have "upcoming" blemishes it may draw them up and make you break out temporarily.

HTH!!! :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I just made this lotion and love it! SUPER easy to make, about 5 min total. I would add more than 1-2 drops of EO, though, as I put in about 6-8 and still there's not much smell.

I didn't have aloe gel, but I had aloe juice and subbed this in. I used almond oil, grapeseed oil and a bit of vitamin E for the oils. It is definitely a greasier lotion, but that's perfect for me in this dreadfully cold and dry WI winter air.

Since it is a hydrous solution and has no preservatives in it, I will store my extras in the fridge. I'll have to see how it does staying fresh--the stuff I have in my bathroom drawer unrefrigerated...

Thanks!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just made this recipe too, and it is nice. i was out of almond oil, and didn't have the other oils suggested, so I used olive oil. I don't know how it is compared to the original, but I find it great. It will be what i use at night time. It is a bit greasy, but, imo perfect for overnight use on my winter skin.
From what I have read, vitamin e oil is a natural preservative.

I also made the lotion bar, and it turned out very well.

4oz beeswax
4oz raw cocoa butter
4oz of a carrier oil
10 drops of essential oil
Melt the cocoa butter and beeswax together, you can use a double boiler, the microwave, or just a pan on the stove - but be sure not to heat it to the boiling point because it looses some of its nutrients when it boils.
When the beeswax and cocoa butter have melted completely remove from the heat and add the carrier oil of your choice and essential oil,

I used coconut oil as I could not get shea or cocoa butter. and I used sweet almond oil for the carrier oil. I did not add essential oils to this, as it seemed to have a pleasant smell on its own.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally, I haven't felt better than when I use one of my bath bombs. Oatmeal, milk, starch (arrowroot powder, though cornstarch can be used as well), baking soda, citric acid and coconut oil. Works absolute wonders. I like to use my scrubby soap first in a shower, then fill the tub up with water and a bath bomb. If you soap up and then drop the bath bomb in that soapy water they don't really work out so well, and if you soap up afterwards it's only going to remove the goodness from your skin, lol.

nv2kenu

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am a little late in coming to this thread/forum, but I wanted to ask a question.

For the Vit A & E that you add to the lotion, would this just be what you can buy from the drug store? Do they sell in liquid form, or are you breaking open capsules?

Thanks for your time.

Natasha

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
welcome, nv :)

You can use capsules broken open and squeezed out, or you can buy it in liquid form in a bottle from online companies.

nv2kenu

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks me. I wanted to give it a go before ordering online. Also...I don't want to wait for order to come in. Would like to get to this on the weekend if possible. 5 mth old makes doing anything for self difficult. I have to pass him off to someone else on the weekend so that I can attempt this. I am really looking forward to it.

Again....thanks. And have a great weekend!

Natasha

Latest posts