Homemade natural body wash?

Kaitlyn Eileen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What I go by is comedic yet serious--why buy a product with ingredients you can't even pronounce? I try to stay as natural as possible with organic products that help your skin instead of hurting it. I've been trying natural body washes yet they don't do my skin good and end up stinging wounds or giving me rashes meanwhile they're said to be as "natural as possible".

Nature stores in Maine are very good, indeed, but also very pricey... I can't afford a weekly trip to the health food store for good products yet it's important to me!! Picking up bottles off of the shelves and reading the ingredients gives me a headache. They're treacherous albeit affordable. I do not want to buy expensive (unnecessarily expensed) products from a health food store and I want to avoid regular products with unhealthy ingredients. My scenario is tricky but doable; I need to find a recipe for a natural, simple and inexpensive body wash. Is this workable, is this smart, does anybody have tips/a recipe with instructions? Thank you so much for your time and I hope this post is halfway sensible! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If your not against it making bar soap is a nice replacement, the household here like a recipe I make called 'almost Castile' so much it's pretty much replaced all body and handwash soaps. its olive oil, water, lye and castor oil. but if I'm feeling fancy I'll add extras, did kaolin clay and ground up oatmeal with the last batch, have done one with strong brew coffee and coffee grounds to make a nice scrubby bar

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The Mindful market is a marketplace for conscious consumers where buyers explore homemade products that empower women product or buy locally sourced products. The Mindful Market helps the sellers by giving them a platform to sell their homemade products.

well that's all nice and everything, but as it stands this post of yours is pretty much spam.

would you care to actually converse about things instead of spamming? thanks...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Actually I find my goat milk soap costs about 80 cents per 4-5oz bar. If I buy oils on sale, can shave another quarter off price. I only use food grade. It cleans well, leaves skin nice, never flaky or itchy. I even wash my hair with it. I used to go to markets, fairs, craft shows, etc. & sell with good results. In the future I may start that up again, right now just use for self, daughter & some friends. It lasts well and if you leave it in water will soften to a paste. But use a real wet cloth and it lathers very well. I assure you it removes some dirts that other "soaps" won't very well.

Soaps are easy to make and you can find recipes & tutorials on line. Oils, liquid and lye. How easy...you can pronounce it all.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If your not against it making bar soap is a nice replacement, the household here like a recipe I make called 'almost Castile' so much it's pretty much replaced all body and handwash soaps. its olive oil, water, lye and castor oil. but if I'm feeling fancy I'll add extras, did kaolin clay and ground up oatmeal with the last batch, have done one with strong brew coffee and coffee grounds to make a nice scrubby bar

I buy soap from a local woman. She makes almost-castile soap for me. 95% olive oil, 5% castor oil. I use it for dishwashing. She made another loaf of bath soap for me, unscented and swirls of rose clay for color. :love

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ou can make soaps with water instead of goat milk also. I've started making soap again (Yay!) with goat milk, olive oil, coconut oil and lye. Easy. Made a batch yesterday with coffee grounds for scrubbing off dirt, etc. I have a recipe for a shampoo bar, I haven't tried it yet but it's on my list!
That's way cool! I'm gonna have to try it - maybe the next time I have more than a weekend off I'll put it on my list. Coffee grounds sounds cool - bet it does make a good scrubber.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Taking notes - I haven't ventured into soap making....yet!
Honestly, I waited longer than I probably should have cause I was scared to (all the horror stories Id heard about lye) once a few batches were done I had to laugh at myself for being so scared of it. As long as you take precaution and respect recipes it's pretty safe and fairly easy to do, the hardest part is waiting!

Latest posts