Homemade ranch dressing?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a couple white t shirts that were new. I stitched them across kinda like a pillow case shape. I use those to drain my kefir into kefir leban, or cream cheese texture. I usually do about 4 quarts at a time. It takes about 1 day to 1 1/2 days.

Good luck.

g

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TH - that brings up another question. I've been using old white t-shirt to strain mine in, but (and here's another reason I lose patience) I get whey drips all over the counter. Some winds up in the bowl, but it wicks up the t-shirt and drips over the edge of the bowl. Help?

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I ties mine completely up so there was a ball of yougurt

Yummy!! So excited, got salad tongs, homemade ranch...I forsee salads.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
After reading the first ingredient was soy last night while eating dinner I vowed to make my own. This is the recipe I have. I have not tried it yet. But if Abiefae made it I am sure its good. :D

Abifae Ranch

1/2 cup mayonnaise or sour cream
1 clove garlic, peeled
2-3 pinches kosher salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon cilantro or parsley, minced
1 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped
kosher salt
black pepper
And if you want to use kefir, sub half the mayo for kefir.
If you do straight kefir it will be awy to strong and the seasonings will not stand out.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe I just have mild kefir :hu It really is tasting more and more like plain yogurt every day instead of sour milk.

I had maybe 2/3 cup sour creamish consistency kefir and added about another 2/3 - 3/4 cup of straight kefir (buttermilkish consistency) - for a total of approx 1-1/2 cup

Used BIG spoonful of minced garlic, good sized glug of lime juice, not quite as much ACV, tablespoonish each of dried cilantro and chives, 3-4 twists of the sea salt gizmo. VERY yummy, but not quite "ranch" even after sitting overnight to blend favors. Note - if out of onion powder DO NOT substitute onion salt :sick I almost ruined it! Added 1/2 teaspoonish of this the next morning, and SALT was all I could taste. By evening, it had mellowed some, and this morning, I stirred in some of my kefir cream cheese, and a little bit of leftover hummus, to help the salt go further. Who knew? I'm thinking tahini might be the missing ingredient!

Anywho, it's still not "quite" ranch, but it is delicious, and I've been scarfing it down with carrots and whole wheat matzo crackers. I do know that next time I will plan ahead better/have more patience ;) and use more of the slightly strained (sour cream consistency) kefir so that it's thicker.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Here's my contribution:

Neko's From Scratch Ranch Dressing

First, make some mayonnaise. I used this recipe:

2 egg yolks
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon hot ploughmans mustard (made with beer! great stuff you can use any though)
1/8 teaspoon sugar
4 to 5 teaspoons white vinegar
1 cup of salad oil
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
4 teaspoons hot water

Preparation:

Beat yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, pepper, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a small bowl until very thick and pale yellow. (Note: If using electric mixer, beat at medium speed.) Add about 1/4 cup oil, drop by drop, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in 1 teaspoon each lemon juice and hot water. Add another 1/4 cup oil, a few drops at a time, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in another teaspoon each lemon juice and water. Add 1/2 cup oil in a very fine steady stream, beating constantly, then mix in remaining lemon juice and water; slowly beat in remaining oil. If you like, thin mayonnaise with a little additional hot water. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Do not keep longer than 1 week.

Now, divide the mayo into two portions. Unless you like that strong olive oil taste in your mayo, make two different flavors of salad dressing.

Take one portion, and add finely minced onions, for or five cloves of crushed garlic, some black pepper, and fresh herbs (Italian Parsley, oregano, thyme, basil, a couple sage leaves) and chop those up very finely as well. Stir in those ingredients and add enough white vinegar to thin it just a little, maybe a teaspoon or two. You can use ACV or lemon juice too. When the flavor is right, let it chill for a couple days. The flavors will infuse, and you'll get something that tastes like Ranch Dressing. :)

Speaking of white, I'm going to have to make some more soon.
Thanks Neko, I made this for our superbowl snacks. :)