Homemade Rennet

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does anyone have a receipe for vegetable rennet? I have bought some, but would like to know how to make my own, if I have to. Thanks.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good question!! :pop

I've wondered the same thing myself.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
That is great- maybe I should start cultivating stinging nettles they are good for so many things!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea if we can use something other than stinging nettles? I really don't want them in my yard, but would LOVE to make my own rennett for future cheese making projects.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:pop

Very interesting thread...I've wanted to try to make cheese but didn't want to use an animal rennet. Please post if you have other ideas! :D

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks Rebecca100! I guess that I could have done that too! I have zero familiarity with stinging nettles.

Are they invasive?

Poisious to any animals?

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Nettles are actually highly nutritious. I drink nettle tea throughout my pregnancies to help with my low iron levels. Nettle soup is supposed to be fabulous, though I haven't had it myself. I don't think they'd be poisonous to animals at all - though they can cause quite the painful rash on the skin - from the oils maybe? Once dried I don't think their an issue. Your supposed to wear gloves while harvesting to prevent any problems.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have heard of stinging nettles, but I don't actually have a clue what they are! They look somewhat familiar, but I can't think of ever coming in contact with a stinging plant that would make me remember anyway.

Latest posts