Homemade Vanilla Extract

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I only let my first batch soak for 2 months........I just couldn't stand it any longer! I have to say that there is a noticeable difference in taste and flavor. I am so glad I found this thread and started making my own vanilla. I can tell the difference even in baked goods.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Daffodils At The Sea said:
I guess we'd better know about this *LOL*

Artificial vanilla from a Beaver's Butt:

http://grist.org/list/the-vanilla-s...P warm-up - 60 Day Engaged&utm_campaign=daily
If you ever need hormone replacement therapy and get prescribed Premarin, that comes from pregnant mare urine!
It sure was!I used to work for that company and visited the concentration plant {Secret location because the animal rights people wanted to bomb it (no mares only humans)} Now before all the horsemen attack me the trade was in the north where the mares spent the winter inside normally anyway. there was a soya product that the producers tried to get the FDA to declare was equivalent. It was not but it is on the market now if you want to avoid mare urine.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Glad I already marked HRT off my list too lol. I am already working through this stage and went all natural. The horse urine just confirms that choice. GROSS

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My doctor was concerned about bone density when I told her no HRT please. We finally agreed on 2000 mg a day of Vitamin D-3 instead. So far, it seems to be working for me, and a happy side effect is that it helps with my winter blues too. Just please don't tell me that my D-3 comes from pork snot or something?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
:yuckyuck

I think your vitamin D3 is safe....... :lol:
Yep it is from wool grease and wool wax alcohols obtained from the cleaning of wool after shearing.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
It's more likely to have come from fish liver oils
That might depend on how much you pay for it. Fish liver oils are expensive when compared to the by products of wool production/ Britesea are you sure about the units of the amount of D-3 you take daily? might it be 2000 IU[international units rather than 2000mg:(2 x 40,000,000 IU? the stuff is used to kill rodents at about 17mg/kg body weight so you had better be a big woman (>>115 kg) to take that dose.~gd

Latest posts