homemade versions...New TV show about cracking secret recipes!!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was going thru my recipe box last week and found some I had written a long time ago. Back in the early 90's I'd seen a show and the lady guest had come up with "homemade versions" of some popular items like KFC's original recipe, McD's big mac sauce, Wendy's chili, Oreo cookies, Reese's peanut butter cups, Frostie, and Cracker Jacks.
So far we've tried the chicken, shake, chili and cookies and even though we didn't think they tasted much like the originals we did like em. They may not be very SS, but I thought I'd pass em along........

Frostie

blend...
1 C milk
1/2 C cocoa
3 C soft vanilla ice cream

Cracker Jacks (I have seen similar in cookbooks)

1 C peanuts
2 sticks butter
5 C popcorn-popped
2 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C light corn syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda

McD's Big Mac sauce

1/4 tsp pepper
1 C Miracle whip
1/3 C relish
1/3 C Kraft creamy French dressing (orange not red)
1 Tbls sugar
1 tsp dry minced onion

Reeses

cupcake paper cups cut into muffin pan

16oz Hershey's chocolate candy
2 C peanut butter

Melt & mix chocolate candy with 1 C peanut butter. Use half of this for bottom layer. Melt remaining 1 C peanut butter for center. Then top with reserved chocolate peanut butter mix

Original Fried Chicken

2 C self rising flour
2 env Tomato Lipton Cup A Soup
1 Tbls paprika
2 pkgs Good Seasons Italian powder mix
1 tsp salt
1/4 lb butter

Mix dry ingredients, coat chicken pieces, drizzle with melted butter. Bake @ 350 for 40-60 min

Chili

2 Tbls oil
1 1/2 - 2 lbs ground beef
10 oz can French onion soup-not creamy (I used dry soup mix w/beef broth)
1 Tbls chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
few drops Tabasco
21 oz kidney beans-undrained (I precooked some dry red & black beans)
6 oz tomato paste
8 oz tomato sauce

Oreo cookies

18 oz pkg devils food cake mix
2 eggs plus 2 Tbls water
2 Tbls oil
1/4 C bitter cocoa

This makes a stiff & sticky dough and it will cook up just how you put it in the pan. So if you want flat cookies, dip a glass in a bit of flour and press flat. Because these are so dark and they don't melt down when cooked, it's hard to tell when they're done. About 10 min is good.

filling:
1 env unflavored gelatin
1/4 C cold water
1 C Crisco
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb plus 1 C powdered sugar

I tried the filling once, but it made too much for the amount of cookies even for double stuff (more like a double quad stuff) and tasted too much like shortening IMO. If anyone tries this I'd suggest starting with 1/2 the amount of shortening called for AND doubling the cookie recipe and you may still have more filling left over.
Whenever I've made these (maybe twice a year), I skip the filling and will sometimes add white chocolate or butterscotch chips or leave plain. Tasty either way!

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you so much for posting the McD's Big Mac sauce. I just love them.:D I will have to try it this weekend.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here is the Big Mac sauce I use for the family we think it tastes super close.
Ingredients

* 1/2 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise (we use veganaise)
* 2 tablespoons wishbone deluxe French dressing
* 4 teaspoons Heinz sweet pickle relish
* 1 tablespoon finely minced white onion (no substitutions)
* 1 teaspoon white vinegar
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Transfer sauce to a covered container and chill for several hours to allow flavors to blend.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wendy's Chili- we think it tastes just like it.
Ingredients

* 2 lbs ground beef

* 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce

* 1 (29 ounce) can kidney beans (with liquid)

* 1 (29 ounce) can pinto beans (with liquid)
* 1 cup diced onion (, 1 medium onion)
* 1/2 cup diced green chili pepper (, 2 chilies)
* 1/4 cup diced celery (, 1 stalk)
* 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
* 2-3 teaspoons cumin powder
* 3 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 cups water

Directions

1.Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat.
2.Drain off the fat.
3.In a large pot, combine the beef plus all the remaining ingredients, and bring to a simmer over low heat.
4.Cook, stirring every 15 minutes, for 2 to 3 hours ( I just use the crockpot)

These are clones from Todd Wilbur "Top secret recipes" book
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of our favorite Wing places used to be wingers, I just make a clone sauce at home now (med heat)
taking Franks hot sauce with equal part Brown sugar, usually I just use a cup of each. It tastes fantastic with this baked wings recipe, I think these are better than most restaurants.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Unbelievable-Baked-Buffalo-Wings-155021

What other copycat recipes are out there you like? I really like Alice Springs chicken also, but every recipe I try does not taste like it.
In Washington state there is this hamburger joint called Eagan's in Olympia or Big Tom's in Tumwater that has this "GOOP" that is my all time favorite stuff, I have not lived there for years and still miss that taste. Recipe anyone?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my gosh! I remember Eagen's Big Tom's. They did have 4 or 5 shop's around Oly area. I know they closed the Tumwater-they put in a bank, gas station, BurgerKing, mexican restaurant & hotel in that area. And if I remember right (been 12 years since living there), they closed all but the one on the Oly/Lacey border-and by now that one may be closed too :hu

Sorry, I don't have a clue about their sauce recipe-it just brought back memories!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've not tried the McD's sauce for two reasons...

1.) If & when we (kids & I-see #2)sneak over there, I like my quarter pounder w/cheese & have never tried BigMac

2.)DH swears if you eat at McD's, "you'll swell up & die" or "you'll get sick with the flu". He does NOT like McD's. His reasons for this is because many many years ago (I think late 60's or early 70's) there was something in the news about worms in their burgers. I do vaguely (sp) remember something about wormy burgers, but I don't remember if it was the chain as a whole or only one store. In fact I'm not even sure if it was McD's that did it. But DH swears it's McD's and has never eaten there and of course in turn swears THAT's why he never gets sick and/or is skinny & still alive. (I just think he's a cracked nut :lol: )

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ooo, I know how to make faux "Thin Mints" that the girl scouts sell. And they are so much cheaper!

Simply dip vanilla wafers into melted mint chocolate chips and then let them cool on a sheet of parchment paper...SO GOOD!!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love choc covered mints :drool

But my brain just went dead.......please remind me--what are vanilla wafers?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
I love choc covered mints :drool

But my brain just went dead.......please remind me--what are vanilla wafers?
Oh, sometimes they are called "nilla wafers" people in the south always put them in banana pudding etc. That is the only way I know how to describe them.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oooohhhh...ya mean the cookies? :D

eta--not just the south........nanner cream pie anyone?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My mom makes the best banana pudding in the world. I have no idea how she makes it. I don't ask, because I don't want to know, because then I wouldn't eat it. :lol:

Aaaaanyways, I always thought McD's sauce was sort of a thousand island type sauce. Mayo, ketchup, bit of mustard, pickle relish, salt & pepper.

I wanna know how to make the peanut butter chocolate cookies from the girl scouts. Those are my favorite.