Homeschoolers opinions sought...state internet home school

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, for such encouraging imput. I do think that this boy takes after his father who is very intelligent but who also did not excel in the public school format when he was a kid. He is, God's truth, a living CLONE of his father in looks.

I do think he would find rolling an burning dumpster through the school, he would probably cheer to see that post! I think that he thinks so MUCH about those distracting things that he does not focus on learning and the subject of his textbooks or even the fun of learning. And he is a master of avoidance and this new program shows us exactly where he is on each and every assignment and gives us access to the assignment, the curriculum and the e-mail address of his teacher and tutor.
Did I add anywhere on that post that I'm hearing impaired and cannot use the phone? Internet access to the teacher in my case is a huge asset. I type just fine. But that is one of the things that made me worried about being able to help him in this, establishing a curriculum when I can't really hear sounded intimidating and, for what I've seen, this one looks good.
But the boy that always "forgets" his textbook at school will suddenly have his entire assignment for the year at his fingertips for everyone's convenience. I'm sure he is thrilled.
Any advice on how to keep them on track? You guys are good!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
This will be a hard post to row, all mothers fathers and children are beyond reproach in their own minds. A problematic child is not always a cause of ADD or other pseudo ne'er do wells gone bad. Home schooling will not work if the boy is not disciplined to listen and respect the teacher, especially the parent. Taking a child out of school for just that reason will prove that.

My oldest boy had a serious problem so said his mother (divorced) living 2000 miles away she finally had enough and mailed him to me, said something about him being too tall to talk to. He had D- average and after some talking to graduated with a B+ , I got a bumper sticker (still have it after15 years).

My younger boy was a bit more problematic, he did cause some issues at school, mostly because they taught beneath him. It was only after talking to the teachers that I found what he said was true, I then pulled him and home schooled at age 14. I spent $1000 or so on curriculum which he learned in a few hours a day - all children will learn if you give them the chance but some schools teach crap which won't hold their attention.

One thing that bothered the boy and then me was when he told me that a teacher made the whole class listen to the Beatles saying they were so great and all humans should follow what they started in the 60's. It was the last straw, I filed the correct papers with the state and home schooled him for the next four years. With me having a degree in both chemistry and electronics he had many lab classes at home that most children wish they had - I made it fun.

In 2007 he joined the army to get his GED and then went on to more schooling and now knows more about computer networking then I ever will, he is still a bit cocky but a simple arm wrestle puts him back in place, for now anyways - his great grandfather stormed Normandy, his grandfather was a ranger, and his father fixed electronics on a nuclear submarine.

Once they respect you they are putty in your hands ...

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
xpc, you were a nukie t?
never saw the water, did training in san diego (78') and advanced electronic repairs from a hole in the middle of the great lakes

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Cool. My dad was a sub man. I'm facinated with them too. We drove down to Corpus Christi back in the 80's to see a nuclear sub. First one my dad ever saw...he had been out of the NAVY for 20 + years at that point.

Anyhoo,
I agree with you about homeschooling. So you did it before it was on line? How?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I agree with you about homeschooling. So you did it before it was on line? How?
It was available online (2001?) I would have to look up the name of the place but it was a christian based school around the nor-east me thinks could of been Ohio too? Tuition was about $800 and had all the paper work needed for the state, I spent a few hundred more on computer parts and lab experiments.

edit: Now I see what you mean, my oldest did finish high school in WI rather then CA, I traveled too much at that time to home school him. With the younger one I had a local job working a 5 on 5 off shift so it was easier to learn him stuff.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
The one we are looking at is a free online public school taught from home. The district is in our county but is not the closest to us.
I have not always been crazy about what was taught in some of the textbooks my children brought home from school, but having access to the whole teaching process the way this will be, at least my husband and I can look at what he is being taught and if we disagree, we can have further discussion. Whereas before we had no control at all. Except the occasional rant at home when we encountered something.

Right now they are "looking at his application". I hope they don't decide he is too much trouble!

Cross your fingers for him everyone!

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last year I schooled both my 7th grader and 3rd grader (then) at home through Idaho Virtual Academy. I let the oldest go to 8th grade back in public school, not sure how smart that was now and I am still schooling the 4th grader (now) at home. We have not did any school work for 3 days due to my work schedule and she is still ahead in their schedule and it is much harder than the local public schools. There is just too much wasted time in public schools, IMO.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We just enrolled our kids into TRECA Virtual Academy and we will be starting their lessons in the next 24 hours.

Whoot! :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
:weee

We got word they accepted A today!

Tomorrow is his last day of public school. I told him to get phone numbers of his nice friends in case we want to arrange get togethers (did I mention we live in a remote area?).

I'm so excited to join all you homeschoolers, even though technically I'm not choosing the curriculum like so many of you.

We are excited!:ya