homestead jenna - The View from my Blue Couch

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Name: Jenna

Birthday: January, 1958

Hometown: Grew up in Boyds, Maryland - not far from here.

Current Residence: Braddock Heights, Maryland

Relationship Status: married

Political Views: Libertarian

Religious Views: Spiritual, not religious. If I had to pick I would say Quaker (which I was) or maybe Unitarian-Universalist.

Activities: Reading, making mixed-media art, sewing, cooking, off-roading my Jeep.

Interests: Law of Attraction/Creative Visualization, outsider art, chickens, beekeeping, tarot cards as a tool for self-exploration/visualization.

Favorite Music: Eclectic taste...no favorites.

Favorite TV Shows: TV rots your brain.

Favorite Movies: Bruce Almighty, Bucket List, the PBS Himalaya series by Michael Palin.

Favorite Books: Oh, this one's way too hard...too many beloved books.

About Me: I'm a you-can-take-the-girl-outta-the-country-but-not-the-country-outta-the-girl. I've spent a lot of time in my life dreaming about simplicity and about having a homestead, and now finally I'm able to (sort of) develop that homestead. Little by little I have divested myself of the things that society said mattered, but didn't serve me.

I have two grown kids (son's a cop, daughter's still figuring it out) and a delightful granddaughter. I work a day job as the receptionist at the local Extension office. I run a business on the side called Key Concepts - audio transcription. I'm also a massage therapist. You can see a semi-constructed Web site at http://www.freewebs.com/snallygasterart.

My friends call me Becky-Home-ecky because I took just about every home economics course I could. I'm also flat-out cheap. I despise malls, Walmart, and being called a "consumer" in the media.

I guess that's it for a start. Thanks for a space to journal my self-sufficiency. I'll have to get some photos of the place soon. I appreciate this message board because it feels like I'm among people who just might "get" me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I appreciate this message board because it feels like I'm among people who just might "get" me.

***Yup, us SS type of people are a wierd breed and we know when we see another..LOL-LOL
join the fun and chat up a storm!

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
December 23, 2008 Well, I'm so stoked! I contacted a local organic farmer about work because he had an employment note on his web site. He's interested in having me on board next year! He has organic veggies, bees, free range poultry. The farm produces rain barrels and uses harvested water in the operation. They also use photovoltaic energy. Sustainability is the total focus.

I feel as though I've died and gone to heaven...the money's not great (never is in farming!) but I'll learn so much!!!! I'll ditch this office job and not look back.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
OMG!! That is exciting!! Make sure you come back here and post about all the cool things you learn about!!!