homestead jenna - The View from my Blue Couch

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
feel as though I've died and gone to heaven...

*******When a job makes you feel like that......you struck pay dirt big time. Love of the job over money....can't ask for anything more! COOL
can't wait to hear more about it! :)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Welcome, we all here definitely "get you" and look forward to hearing more from you!

Congrats on the job...can't wait to hear more about it! My hubby and I want to do solar but right now it's just not in our budget...got the chickens, though!

Anyway, look forward to talking more!

Lori

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Welcome, Jenna!
I'm so happy for you about the upcoming job. It's such an exciting and rare opportunity to get that 'job of a lifetime' where you can actually look forward to going to work. Please keep us posted on how it goes for you.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
OMG!! That is exciting!! Make sure you come back here and post about all the cool things you learn about!!!
Definitely a must! Welcome, Jenna! Yes, please tell us of your adventures in organic farming. :D

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck....

I went over to Middletown and bought a rabbit hutch this morning from a lady. (the scary part was that I was thinking "I bet you could also put two chickens in here." It REALLY is an illness....) I'm getting the hutch so I can get it ready to put one or two rabbits in there for my granddaughter's second birthday at the end of March.

I have SO many construction projects planned. Right now my thinking is to quit my job at the end of February. That gives me March to get done:

1. The chicken coop - move the playhouse from the town it's in 22 miles away and get it organized for birds.
2. Raised beds for the veg garden.
3. Top-bar hives - I want two - will settle at one and do another in the fall.
4. Salad table http://www.hgic.umd.edu/_media/documents/hg601.pdf

I've just gonna HAVE to find my way around wood, saws, and all that stuff. I took home ec! I took every home flippin ec class they offered at my high school! I can saute, broil, roast and bake. I can make a rue, hollandaise, and a moir poix. I can knit, sew, crochet and needlepoint. I guess I can "do" wood construction, too.....I am woman...hear my power saw.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate You GO, girl!!!!

:bun :bun :bun :bun :bun :bun :bun :bun

We are SOOOOO going to get along! :lol: :frow

For all my life, my women friends thought I was crazy as I daydreamed about getting a DeWalt cordless drill and discussed with the maintenance man at work the merits of the this or that power tool brand over another. They would roll their eyes and shake their heads, like I was some freak from another planet! :rolleyes:

Little did they know that the power tool is the single woman's best friend.....er...uh...I..uh..I mean the kind you use to build things~get yer mind out the gutter, gals!!! :old :gig :lol:

Well, you know the old saying....God created all men and women, Mr. DeWalt made 'em equal! (yeah, yeah, I know I stole it from Mr. Colt, but it sounded good, didn't it? :p :D )

Your spring project list sounds like mine, we must compare notes! :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey Jenna, Congrats on the new upcoming job! Sounds FANTASTIC! I cant waite to read about your adventure with it! I am sure there will lots you can teach US from that job. Im excited!

Bee, I Soooooo know where you are coming from with the power tools! A few years ago, DH asked what I wanted for Christmas..I said..TOOLS. He went out and bought ME the Anniversary toolbox set from Sears. The 2 part toolbox is Black and gold. :love Then he FILLED it with Craftsman tools...gotta love a man that gets you what you REALLY want. This year, I got us..err, I mean "him" a finishing nail gun, and a stapler for his compressor. Now we have the complete set. I mean...HE has the complete set! LOL Gotta love a air nailer....whew those are fun!!