Hope for the Future?

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
On another website I read a post by a lady who went to visit her friend, and was disgusted when she discovered the friend was keeping chickens in her back yard. She want on and on about those dirty, noisy creatures, and said she wouldn't be visiting that friend again. A lot of the other website members were agreeing with her! I thought about responding, but they'll never "get it".

So I just unsubscribed from that site and went outside to play with my chickens.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband sells a lot of his eggs at work. It's kind of winked at, mostly because he works at a hospital and everyone there sees the health benefits. Well, one of his co-workers grew up on a farm and alot of our information and expertise we have gleaned from her has gotten us through some tricky situations. But she won't buy our eggs. She says that farm eggs just taste too "eggy" now and that she can't deal with the memories it brings back from her childhood. :idunno Except right before Easter when she had a whole bunch of family visiting, then she bought some. Good thing too, because for some reason no one else wanted to buy brown eggs.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey ohio

hope you are doing very well! all good here busy busy tis the spring season on any farm

I heard a million incredible things from customers lol but mostly my customers are smart. they had parents or grandparents or they grew up on farms (or had chickens etc or grandpa processed a hog each fall)
most of my customers have gardens but shop the market for things they don't have space or time to grow......so lucky my people are rather bright lol

stupidest thing I always here is this joke about my goat milk soap
(how many goats did you kill to make that goat soap) UGH a nickel for every fake laugh I had to give lol

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thats pretty funny - how many goats did you kill for the soap.. heh heh heh... oh yeah

when we had the first round of goats i mentioned to my city-fried friend that we might keep the babies for meat. but we didnt so when we got the mini goat babies she was all worked up that we would just march out there take the babies right out of that goat and fry them up in a pan.

me: huh?
friend: you said you were going to eat them!
me thinking: (but they are so little!)
friend: how COULD you!
me: there's hardly enough meat to make an appetizer... why there isnt even enough for a kabob!
friend: aaaaghghhghghhghhhhhhhhh (cries)
me: for heavens sakes.... we are selling those...

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My husband is the same way. We live in the suburbs and I can't do much as far as a self sufficient lifestyle but I have talked with my husband about my dream of living on a farm, growing and raising my own food and he pretty much looked at me like I had just sprouted 3 heads....3 very ugly heads...haha. He doesn't understand the point of eating organic and doesn't understand why someone would want to go through all that trouble of growing it yourself when Walmart is just down the road and we can get all our food there. It kills me how detached we are from our food and how detached our families are from our food. *sigh*

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had people camp in our yard once (a couple, in their thirties)... we were making homemade french fries for dinner and the woman was SHOCKED that fries were made with potatoes... she had absolutely NO IDEA that they were anything but frozen bags of fries in the store.

My mom thought she was hilarious... the visiting woman actually argued that you couldn't make french fries from a potato.

A lot of city people have no clue about where their food comes from... but the ones that bother me the most are the ones, like Old Fashioned said, that KNOW, but don't care or don't want to do anything to change it.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
)... we were making homemade french fries for dinner and the woman was SHOCKED that fries were made with potatoes... she had absolutely NO IDEA that they were anything but frozen bags of fries in the store.

My mom thought she was hilarious... the visiting woman actually argued that you couldn't make french fries from a potato.
:gig So where did she think they came from? A french fry tree??
:lol:

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
hey ohio

hope you are doing very well! all good here busy busy tis the spring season on any farm

I heard a million incredible things from customers lol but mostly my customers are smart. they had parents or grandparents or they grew up on farms (or had chickens etc or grandpa processed a hog each fall)
most of my customers have gardens but shop the market for things they don't have space or time to grow......so lucky my people are rather bright lol

stupidest thing I always here is this joke about my goat milk soap
(how many goats did you kill to make that goat soap) UGH a nickel for every fake laugh I had to give lol
I've had the same type of question...people think we kill the sheep to get the wool we spin!!!:barnie

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you want weird looks tell people you are a Locovore and eat as in season as much as possible. When you mention you process your excessive veggies in season so you will have them out of season and that you search out local producers even tho it costs more than the Big W they just don't get it.
Had an interesting discussion with a couple yesterday that fought city hall to get "city chicken" ordinances passed. Their local town allows llamas and potbelly pigs but not chickens or house rabbits until they fought for the chickens. But still the rules are very restrictive.
One huge concern of the city council was Avian flu even tho there are no cases reported and there are no rules against back yard bird feeding or the multitude of ducks and geese that inhabit the pond at the city park. If you are worried about birds spreading disease why would you allow people to attract all types of wild birds to a concentrated area???? Now before someone gets upset with me I DO NOT believe that feeding wild birds is dangerous and we do so to the tune of several hundred pounds of sunflowers every winter. People just don't think things out before they spout off...Oh, that's right, they're politicians!!!