Horse Meat???

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Uh, I rescued Emmy....and I don't plan on breeding her again after she foals with her mini mule...but I don't plan to eat her either. :p And I've already found a potential home for her baby.

I know I said I would have to be starving, but honestly, I don't think I would ever eat a horse. In fact, I am pretty sure I would not, and I do have what I feel is a valid reason, but since I'm pretty sure some would find my reason offensive, I'm opting not to share it.

I am NOT opposed to a humane kill that leaves the meat usuable for dog food.
Thing is Quail....every country and area must eat or make usable their assets in order to survive. The Icelandic Pony is a stable on the menu in Iceland and normal eats.....and is a viable industry cause they can survive where beef cattle etc. can not survive.

So basically what we eat here is what we can farm.....what others eat is what they can farm.

It is so hard when we put "animals" into pet categories. Just changes the whole dynamics.

I always remember the Little House on the Prarie episode when snowed in for a long time with no food, Charles was going to kill a horse and they were going to eat it.....of course at the last minute an Indian or someone came and gave him a deer to eat. BUT I thought of it as just that---survival. You would kill and eat a horse to save your kids. Who wouldn't?

But obviously that is extreme but it sure happened in real life! :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We (eldest daughter actually has possession) have two geriatric ponies right now. I will certainly ensure they have the best days of retirement possible - they have earned it. They will receive good vet care, hoof care and lots of love and apples. When their time comes they will not suffer nor be eaten by man nor beast. We understand they are living creatures with feelings.

Unfortunately too many people think you can just use an animal and then ignore them. These are the poor beasts that deserve a killer market over a life of neglect. I too have see whole pastures full of near starving horses. When I called to report them to animal welfare, nobody really seemed to care. If folks like that thought they could make a buck, the animals would be out of their misery.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Well our POA ponies are really quite big girls. (54 inches and 53 inches and close to 1000 pounds each) We call them "the ladies" and they are like an extra members of the family. We can say to them, when they are standing under the tree, "Go on in the barn cause I am going to give you some hay." and they will just turn around and go in. They truly understand.

I really do love the pony mentality they are forever trying to figure things out. People say a pony is never fully trained, to which I agree, but I love to train horses! :lol:

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Anyone try it?

I never have and love love love horses to ride and as pets, LOL, but it is a staple for many people along with other animals we in the US would never eat.

Just wondering if anyone tried it. I checked with my local processor who does our hogs and he said he would not process a horse--just wondering if anyone has done this or would consider it at all.

just seeing what things people consider food.
I love horses too! They are beautiful animals. :)

Other cultures raise cows to a high level and wouldn't dare think about processing them as we do. It's the differences in cultures and I think we all have the right to our own. I could never knowingly eat a horse and would be extremely mad at anyone who would trick a person into it. But, that doesn't mean that I would harp at them for their cultures beliefs either-that is what our individual countries are made of. :hu

As for processing one in this country, it is illegal for a plant to process them anymore. They can't be sold to someone and transported out of the country for this purpose either. The sad part is to many unwanted horses will be neglected for it as the owners won't be able to find a buyer in a flooded market and won't do right by them in putting them to sleep instead of letting them suffer. It is sad but, true.

Hopefully, this isn't being taken in the wrong way. That I have made my opinion known correctly. I love horses and could never eat one.

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes given the chance, I would eat horse meat. Please grill them or fry them up like tacos. Or horse steak.

A good horse meat would be sweet in taste like pasture raised cow would be. Not my quote, but some of the Food Network, Andrew Zimmerman, and that NY chef would say about horse meat. Very popular in Europe. Not sure of Canada but would not be surprised if they do have them there. However they are expensive. I think the Aussies do too.

I love horses all my life, raised and owned and trained them all. If it comes down to starvation, yes, horse meat will be added to my diet. As long it is a horse that is not mine, I am ok with it.

Some people in foreign countries would view horses as meat source like we view cattle as our meat source.

As for processing, I do believe a quick death is the most humane way to kill horses. A bullet, one swing from the metal stake (from an experienced processor) can make it worthwhile. Cutting the throat is too messy.

As for the comments of geldings, well, to MAKE more geldings, you still have to have some breeding animals. ;)