Horse Meat???

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Now now ... you CAN have a mare without adding to the population explosion.

It is not the thinking people that are causing the problems anyway. We have had the same two POA pony mares for the last 18 years! They have raised my children and done all kinds of labor around our place. All those people with more money than brains that buy a horse on a whim and then lose interest in no time - they are the problem.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have a great mare too! I was just making a reference to "breedable" animals and the only one that cant breed is a gelding. :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Well you CAN spay a mare or perform a Caslicks procedure on them (things are basically sewn shut). :ep

They do that on high dollar race horses to prevent problems and accidental conceptions. Just most people don't bother with spending the money on it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Well you CAN spay a mare or perform a Caslicks procedure on them (things are basically sewn shut). :ep

They do that on high dollar race horses to prevent problems and accidental conceptions. Just most people don't bother with spending the money on it.
Ouch!

I like the tax breaks idea!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It can be done humanely, but like every type of animal slaughter company, it is up to them to implement it correctly.

Some do better than others on all animals.

Also I have driven behind chicken trucks....chickens packed solid in little crates, legs hanging out the sides, crouched down squished travelling in 100 deg. heat and what about those middle chickens, the one in the center packed with crate after crate around them, hmm..no good air supply there. So again, that is just the travel method involved....move as many critters as you can in one trip.
BUT for bigger animals like horses there should be a space requirement. Well I guess for those poor chickens also....hmm...

In tough times big animals are definitely neglected. Many a skinny horse with ribs showing in pastures. People can't afford to feed them. Again, like alot of animals.

So many animals are neglected. Doesn't matter what it is...how many goldfish die in homes..HA HA HA...many many many!!

No matter what the animal biz, there are problems involved. People will be neglectful of animals and abuse happens in all areas.

Of course younger healthier animals are wanted for eating. Who wants to eat the old cow? The old hog? The ancient chicken that is tough as a piece of leather? LOL-LOL

And the best advice, is the backyard breeder who makes about 5 foals per year....those are the straws that keep the count high on horses...thinking their stallion or mare is the best and needs to reproduce. Most horse owners think their animal is the best and wants that foal.....and that adds so much to the animal explosion.

oh well, again, there should be some type of control and ending for horses other than like Bee said...sitting in a pasture forgotten and no vet care with no hoof care....it happens alot.

I am a horse lover to the max, owned many, have been a Spotted Saddle Horse breeder, with about 50 mares breeding in the olden days....and I decided to stop and not add to the population anymore.....and I still think we need a good slaughter situation for horses.

Like Vietnam eats dogs...they are breed for eating. Things we would think of eating here....wow...things they eat in other countries are wild!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Uh, I rescued Emmy....and I don't plan on breeding her again after she foals with her mini mule...but I don't plan to eat her either. :p And I've already found a potential home for her baby.

I know I said I would have to be starving, but honestly, I don't think I would ever eat a horse. In fact, I am pretty sure I would not, and I do have what I feel is a valid reason, but since I'm pretty sure some would find my reason offensive, I'm opting not to share it.

I am NOT opposed to a humane kill that leaves the meat usuable for dog food.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I don't think I would ever eat a horse. In fact, I am pretty sure I would not...
I used to say the exact same thing ... until I met enough horses. Like I said before there are certain individuals I would LOVE to stick a fork into. :rant :p

Many animal populations benefit from being consumed. I think I will quote a famous saying

"if you want to save a species, Eat them.

Think about it
Think of all the endangered species in the world, how many of them do people eat?
Now look at how many cows, pigs, and chickens there are in the world.
People breed the heck out of them.

So if you want to save a species, put it on the menu." :p

Every species needs its predator. Unfortunately for humans we are our own predator.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Aly, I'm with you, I don't think I could ever eat horse....too close to cannibalism for me! I think I have equine in my dna.....

But I am not opposed to humane killing and eating of ANY animal. Emphasis on the humane. Even for cows, pigs, and chickens, hence the coop in my backyard.

And I would gladly let any animal of mine, pet or not, become food for someone at the end of their life IF it was done humanely and without fear or undue discomfort. That doesn't really happen the way things are right now, though. So until then, it's the quiet digging of a hole in the pasture and the vet for me.

Latest posts