Horse Meat???

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Amen, sister! I'm a hospice nurse, so suffering is not something I like to see, even if it prolongs someone's life. Quality of life is a big issue for me. I guess that is why I was so sucked in by Blossom's condition.....I couldn't bear that a sweet ol' cow like that was not being loved and taken care of. Its not every cow that you can walk up on and touch all over without her trying to sidle away from you. Good animal.

Same with horses. I can't bear to see them not on green grass and with space to roll and run. I think that is why I feel Blossom would be better off with more room....she deserves more space and a more varied selection of grasses.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In my opinion, the best way to honor a creature, especially one that you plan to eat, is to give them a good life and a clean death. No abuse is neccessary to have an animal provide you with meat. Thats why I'm edging away from feedlot/storebought meat. I don't like eating misery...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Animal husbandry is a little more than raising an animal for the sole purpose of eating them, I believe. The true joy of the thing is raising an animal that is content with their life, at ease and calm, well fed and sheltered. And a quick death. What more could one ask for? That we should be so lucky! :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Here it comes! My rant. :rant

I think the only way to get the humane kind of slaughter we are ALL (yes me too) talking about is to make it legal and profitable to kill horses in the USA. We the people seem to truly give a care here and even though there are still great shortcomings in commercial processing for cattle, pigs, chickens etc in the US, it is still staggeringly better than it is for animals shipped to Mexico and other countries.

We have regulations and oversight committees and sign carrying protesters to make sure the animals have a quick end. BBH you have it exactly right about stupid "backyard horsie" people flooding the market. Sadly this probably won't stop as long as they can buy a horse to breed and not feed. Then there are those lot that are just dangerous.

When I was training I came across three different animals that NEEDED that can. Two were registered horses one so badly abused hate was all that was left. I had her to try to soothe out just for a pasture horse as she was a rescue, but I think her mind was really too far gone and she would actually attack people. I gave my recommendations, but I think her owner is still trying. The other two horses were just mentally deficient. Not only did they hurt people they were self injurious. I watched one of them spook at a noise in the pasture and actually run headlong into a TREE!

Obviously horses like these need to be put down. People who own them just won't do that. They spent money on that horse - they want to recoup some of the money.

Another fact is that places with no- kill shelters in abundance actually end up with MORE dogs and cats. If I am sure my puppy excess is going to be sheltered I really don't care if my dog gets pregnant. If I am pretty sure an unwanted puppy will be euthanized I will probably be more likely to get my dogs fixed. Same with that stupid "horsie" person. If their little foal they raised for fun will probably end up in a can of dog food (or as people food) they may think twice before breeding that crooked legged mare so the kids can "have the experience". Pastures where the momma's three year old stud colt has been allowed to roam and breed may be a thing of the past - or at least they will have a good place to go.

The last thing is without a US killer market there is NO bottom dollar in the horse business. When I was a kid you could buy a good broke horse cheap, but never for less than he was worth "by the pound".

I have loved and owned horses since I was born. I literally learned to ride BEFORE I could walk. I have always respected and cared for horses as the intelligent creatures that they are. But we have GOT to be realistic.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Farmfresh,

I agree with you.

I also remember buying horses by the pound. They weren't going to be sold to eat, that was just how they determined the price.

Back in the early '90's horses were around $1 per lb. Cattlemen began to raise horses for meat too.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My opinion from the beginning (if it has to be done):

#1 Do it humanely. Find a way to secure the poor beast's head do it quick and get it over with.

#2 Stop the breeding!!! Jeeze!!! We do not have to breed a mare every season, we have enough out there!

#3 Stricter penalties for loosers that abuse animals. Fine the tar out of them!! If they can't afford the fines, put them to work to pay off the fines.

#4 No more "prem-urine" mares and babies. This includes mares bred to produce any drug or anti-venom for human use.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
If breed associations would offer "rewards or incentives" perhaps we could still collect the necessary urine - just collect it from mares bred for the right reasons.
:hu
The other option is treating medical donor animals like other animals in the meat and dairy industry. Perhaps those "necessary" medical babies could be fattened for human consumption - kind of like veal calves are as a by-product of the dairy industry.

Like I said ...we have got to do some hard thinking to fix this big problem.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
If breed associations would offer "rewards or incentives" perhaps we could still collect the necessary urine - just collect it from mares bred for the right reasons.
:hu
The other option is treating medical donor animals like other animals in the meat and dairy industry. Perhaps those "necessary" medical babies could be fattened for human consumption - kind of like veal calves are as a by-product of the dairy industry.

Like I said ...we have got to do some hard thinking to fix this big problem.
Those are very good ideas for this un-perferct world. In a perfect world we would all have geldings! :p

Latest posts