HOT HOT and more HOT

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The other day I got to see my 90 yr old grandma. She was having a good day- she has altzimers- and we talked about the gardening in a drought. And she said she and her sisters HATED to water the garden. So what they did was dig a moat around plants like the tomatoes and peppers and such, and they dug irrigation ditches along the rows of corn, beans,and such. That way when they watered they didn't have to haul as many buckets (they didn't have a garden hose). So I have done that and filled the moats and ditches at night and they are still wet in the mornings! And everything has doubled in size since I started.

She did say not to go too deep or the water will go under the roots so I went 2-3inches deep or so depending on the plant.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
We get that a lot, too. Something about this area, the storms seem to split and go north and south of us.
They do that here too. As much as it stinks with the rain, it was a blessing with the smoke. Last year when S Az was burning we had smoke all around us but clear skies here. That smoke would have killed me with my asthma.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It sounds like ya'll have all moved to Texas!! :lol: We had the worst drought in 60 years last summer. It is in the 100's now, but that is normal for this time of year. WE have had a little sprinkle of rain and it has cooled off.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
Denim Deb said:
We get that a lot, too. Something about this area, the storms seem to split and go north and south of us.
They do that here too. As much as it stinks with the rain, it was a blessing with the smoke. Last year when S Az was burning we had smoke all around us but clear skies here. That smoke would have killed me with my asthma.
I grew up in S Tx so the heat doesn't bother me. I'm just worried about water and the idiots with fireworks.

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
severe drought here lost my sweet corn crop and corn and soybean feilds are junk everything is dry stressed very bad shortage on hay/grass/alfafla everything is dormant and them temps 90-100 lows in the 70s all week only good thing out of it all is i dont have to mow the lawn we had a bad storm roll threw here friday left most of us without power but we have it now

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The part that sucks is less that 1/2 a mile east of our house there was water in the puddles and at the school where my dh works (3-4 miles east said they got 2 1/2 inches. It JUST missed us. By a few feet almost!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I take it that most of you in the east are used to having your gardens/fields irrigated by Mother Nature; is that correct? Here in the west we take it for granted that it won't rain between a certain point in the spring until a certain point in the autumn; when I lived in California it was pretty much a given that between April and October we would need to water the garden if we wanted it to survive; the range is somewhat different here in Oregon, but the essential idea is the same. Are you not set up for watering/irrigation, or do you just resent the necessity? I find it strange that anyone would complain about having to deal with what Nature deals out to them - as far as watering that is; I am quite ready to complain about the heat, when it gets up past the point where I am comfortable :lol:.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We started having temps in the 90's by April here in the Arkansas Ozarks, no Spring rains and have been in the 110+'s longer than I care to count back to. :th Drought resistant plants aren't resistant any longer and if it wasn't for me dragging soaker hoses around the yard, we'd have no food crops scraping by right now.

Unfortunaly, for us, the only thing sprouting prolifically here is idjits selling fireworks for the up-coming holiday while our county (and most of the state, for that matter) is under a burn/fireworks ban. :smack

We have slight rain/storm chances showing and while I'd welcome a bit of rain, I dread the thought of lightning as far as fire risks are concerned. Everything is so dried out that IF lightning strikes the wrong thing and a blaze gets started, there's not much stopping it. :hide

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we got nailed by a big T storm last night. into this morning is RAIN. oh yea we needed it and yes it cooled if off by--I think--4 degrees LOL we are in the high 90s only
whew..what a relief :cool:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I take it that most of you in the east are used to having your gardens/fields irrigated by Mother Nature; is that correct? Here in the west we take it for granted that it won't rain between a certain point in the spring until a certain point in the autumn; when I lived in California it was pretty much a given that between April and October we would need to water the garden if we wanted it to survive; the range is somewhat different here in Oregon, but the essential idea is the same. Are you not set up for watering/irrigation, or do you just resent the necessity? I find it strange that anyone would complain about having to deal with what Nature deals out to them - as far as watering that is; I am quite ready to complain about the heat, when it gets up past the point where I am comfortable :lol:.
I think the problem is the drought, not so much that people need to water. I can't remember a time when we didn't need to water the gardens and I've lived on the East coast all my life. But, when irrigation ponds and wells are running dry, it's kind of hard to water.