House with 4 acres in Maine ...photo album added to 1st post

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here is a link to a few photos, hopefully he will put more up. I spent my teen years in this house when we were at our most self-sufficient and I really caught the self-sufficiency and farming bug.

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/dickmarquis/Maine House/

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/dickmarquis/Maine House/Maine house inside and out/

My folks are VERY motivated sellers right now. ANY reasonable offer will be considered.

Almost all the floors are new...just the rug on the stairs and in the loft is older, but in great shape. I painted those kitchen cupboards myself on a visit. I staged and took the indoor photos. There are more, if anyone wants to see another view. That is my doggie on the bed, looking out the window. Isn't he just gorgeous? :p

I'm trying to get my dad to add some pics of the coop and some of the surrounding area so you can see how remote it is. It is surrounded by farmland and woods. I used to get on my horse and go for hours without seeing a house or a person....or I could go in a different direction and be around houses and people and swim my horse (or myself) in the 13-mile-long lake that is nearby.

There is hunting...deer, moose, bear, rabbit, some birds. Fishing and smelt netting. Lots of foraging and gleaning is the custom on the local fields...we'd even go in the field while the harvester was working. My mom was gleaning once and the farmer filled her bucket with shelled fresh peas right from the machine he was using! We never bought potatoes....and there is nothing like local maple syrup! Ahh, the memories!

The garage is huge, big enough for two cars plus recreational vehicles, a boat, or some animals. The coop is snug and well-insulated and the water rarely froze.

There is quite a good rental season during winter for hunters and especially for snowmobilers, and a savvy person could use this as an investment for the future. Wish I could do it myself, but not right now and they need to sell, as they are living in MA now due to serious health concerns.

Please pass this on to anyone you know who may be interested! It has gotta go SOON. Motivated sellers, I kid you not. :/ Sigh.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
It looks so lovely I'm surprised it hasn't sold, but with the bad economy folks are a little scared right now.

Very cute dog...! :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I wish your ad said house in WA with 4 acres. :/

I love it!! :love Does it have a basement? I'll bet it does.

Gunnar (sp?) is so cute!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It has a basement, an old cellar. I bet it could be made into a fabulous root cellar/wine cellar/cheese cave. My folks kept their freezer in there and a few shelves of stuff. I remember a big huge wooden crate with rutabagas and such when I was a kid, with a big batt of insulation on top to keep it from freezing.

My dad got some scavenged thick pieces of insulation and was putting it up in the cellar ceiling. Don't know if he finished or not. A lot of it went into the coop. Those hens were snug! Add deep litter method and it was downright toasty.

Yep, Gunnar sure is cute! No more jumping onto the bed for him, though, with his surgeried knee. :/ He is good about waiting for a lift, though. One good thing about a portable-sized dog! :D

hunterjumper999

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Is it in an area where I could find a job grooming dogs or working with kids ( nanny) and my fiance could get a job in the IT computer world or is it WAYYYY out there?

I'd LOVE something like it!>

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
hunterjumper999 said:
Is it in an area where I could find a job grooming dogs or working with kids ( nanny) and my fiance could get a job in the IT computer world or is it WAYYYY out there?

In a field like IT he could probably get a job working at home online.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I am very nostalgic about this house, and it is really killing me that we can't have it! Any other year.... :/

hunterjumper999 said:

I know of at least three groomers up there who are quite busy. I think one was leaving, so.....Nanny? Maybe. There are some people with high-paying jobs, few and far between, but yes. There are some IT possibilities, not too many, but telecommuting (you'd need a satellite dish, that is what my dad had, to get decent internet and much of any tv)

It is quite remote. I think there are maybe 20 houses in the settlement (Lavertu Settlement) and it is about three miles in any direction to the next settlement, and about 14 miles to "town." But the taxes are low and if you are the least bit self sufficient...and if you can pay cash for the house, (which just may be possible, I don't know your situation, but they WILL consider any reasonable offer and will even consider some unreasonable ones! :p ) you won't need much to live on. Certainly not two full-time jobs. Even with a mortgage, you probably won't need two full-time jobs. Unless you order all your meals out and need two new vehicles every couple of years! Which I doubt!

The house is in move-in condition. There are a few small project that a do-it-yourselfer could handle, none are urgent. All the big stuff is done.

As for animals, the coop is ready but the fence would need to be put back up. The pasture fencing was taken down years ago (when I moved out with my horses!) but there is room in the garage for vehicles, tools, a couple of recreation vehicles, and a few goats! You'd just need to put up stall walls for the critters.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score