House with 4 acres in Maine ...photo album added to 1st post

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
colowyo0809 said:
aggieterpkatie said:
Oh I would so love to buy this house for a summer home!!! It is charming.
I would love to have the expendable income to have a summer home! :p
I have a fully equipped summer home----my travel trailer! :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Free, as far as BYC is concerned, put this on the maine thread of 'where am I/where are you?' section. If it need to be moved, it will be and they will know where to move it to. And say for ppl to pm you for serious inquiries only. Seriously--I'm seeing a bidding war. Around here, you can't even buy 4 acres for that amount, let alone having a house and garage on the property. Seriously.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Nope, my dad decided to drain the pipes for the winter and try again in the spring. Of course, the pipes could be undrained really fast if anyone wanted it or wanted to rent it for snowmobiling!

When I think of it I can actually feel and smell the inside of the barn, with the hay and bedding building up on the floor, the cozy animals munching, and the good clean smells of happy, healthy animals, well fed and snug on a cold winter's night. That barn is gone now, but it had an insulated room with the well pump in it, and for the winter we stuffed as many animals in that room as we could to keep it warm My glasses would steam up when I went in there and when we had the cow, the water would barely freeze.

Over the four + years that I lived there, we had milk and meat cows, milk and meat goats, ponies, chickens, meat rabbits, and pigs, along with an assortment of dogs and cats. A big garden and lots of gleaning and wildcrafting. Oh, for access to all the gazillion chokecherries growing wild everywhere! The wine I would make now!!! :p

Who knows, maybe dh and I will have a windfall by spring and will be able to buy it as a rental property and as a place to escape to. With global climate change, it should be quite balmy up there by the time we retire. :cool: :gig

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Has your Father considered having a rental agency take care of the property and rent it out during the season's?

Might be something to think about and not lose a piece of family property.

bob

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've urged him to do this but he is resistant for some reason. My mom gets nervous about renting and being so far away, that may be it. Or it may be that there are a grand total of two real estate companies....er, agents....in the entire area and he got the best of the two and she was an idiot....listed the house on MLS as having "cracked cement floors" when there are new floors in almost all the rooms, nice laminate floors and ceramic tile. And she wrote in the ad that the well was recently tested but the results are not available....what does that mean? Bad water? The fact is that the report IS available and the water is very good. I don't know what game she was playing at but she is out of the picture now. She also came to take pictures of the outside on the day after my father had cleaned up some brush, branches, and such and brought them out back to burn. He was going to remove the ashes and charred bits when thoroughly cool and rake over the burn area that he'd encircled with cinder blocks. She took a picture of the messy ashes/bricks, with the back of the house in the distant background and posted that on MLS. She yes'd him about correcting all these ridiculous things and more, and never did it. And she is the better one. Sheesh. :he

I'm sure the house could've sold if it were listed with almost anyone else. I'm so frustrated, but I'm glad he is going to take some time. Gives me time to scheme. :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
colowyo0809 said:
aggieterpkatie said:
Oh I would so love to buy this house for a summer home!!! It is charming.
I would love to have the expendable income to have a summer home! :p
I have a fully equipped summer home----my travel trailer! :p
Mine has a little less luxury-my tent! :D

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think what I was getting at was a property management agency that would rent the house during the seasons, take care of the property and your father would be sent his portion of the rent.

or

Would he consider doing a rent to own for you.

bob

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is what I'm thinking, but maybe in the spring. We have some big bills to pay right now....like everyone else, it seems! I'm working towards a big turn-around by spring.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have been wanting to move up to Maine soo badly.. Hubbys parents just bulit up there in Casco. Maine is so beautiful!
Tell him to do a rent to own for me.. :p