How are the gas prices in your area?

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Shootz! We are happy that it went down to $3.79 a gallon for gas and diesel is just under $4 a gallon now, too. The farm tractor frontloader/backhoe uses diesel, everything else is gas. We can get a farm subsidy for discounted diesel but we haven't done the paperwork since it is a very small farm and we don't use all that much diesel.

We are moving into town, that's our response to higher gas prices. We just put an offer in on a nice little house in town yesterday. Fortunately, the farm is separate from the house we are in now (which will probably become a rental since now is not the time to sell real estate) so we will still have loads of space for growing things but my DH won't have to drive to work every day and he will be able to come home for lunch. We will also have a lot more neighbors to sell produce to so the farm may actually be profitable at some point.

It is a small town and still sort of a rural town, so we will hopefully be able to move three or four of the hens and the rabbits into the new backyard. Plus the herb garden, some vegetables, flowers and the rabbit food garden. The new backyard already has fruit trees in the yard loaded with tangerines, lemons, oranges and avocados. Now, if we can just get the house in town, that will solve high fuel prices for most of our lifestyle.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we are at about $3.17

WZ i'd love to see you on a big ol' hog, headin' out down the highway... whooot!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
$1.02/L (or $3.82/US Gallon), but Alberta has the lowest gas prices in Canada so we're pretty fortunate here.

Gas (or Petrol, lol) prices in the UK and Europe are easily double what they are here according to good friends over there who would love to have what we call "high" prices.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Here in the Richmond, Va area we are holding at $2.85-$3.00 the last couple of weeks. I think the last time I filled up I got it at Sam's Club for $2.87. I'm trying to limit my driving, I drive a Durango, but my husband is spending around $60 per week to go back and forth to work. It was double that when we were at our old house cause he had to stop every other day, now he's down to twice a week usually. We were spending as much on gas as we were our truck payment a month and sometimes as much as our mortgage payment if we had a lot of stuff to do. Before I was 25 minutes to the closest grocery store and now I am about 4 minutes to the same store. MUCH nicer on the wallet.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here, southern WV, fluctuating between $3.15 and $3.18,...we are down to going out maybe once a week because we have to,..plus we traded off my truck for a Subaru,...a little easier on gas and 4WD. When DH does go back to work, he will have to drive my Subaru and I'll have to keep his truck here at home,...and stay home. That's okay,..I am TICKLED to stay at home. :D

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Had to drive into the Raleigh, NC area this afternoon, all seemed around $3.07-$3.09. Luckily, down the street it's "only" $3.02. :/

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In the UK they also have a ton of Vespa/motorcycles and gas efficient cars.

I'm paying between TanksHill and BB, prob closer to BB. I bought a truck last summer, cash, and the gas is killing me :/ *BUT* I also tow my horse to the beach often, so it pays off.

Can't wait to take public transportation to school!

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi all, I am paying $1.99 a liter, times that by just off four and you have a gallon, yip thats just under $8 a gallon LOL. Can I come and pick up some $3 a gallon gas, I'll pay shipping!!! ha ha ha This is what happens when you live on an island at the bottom of the pacific!

Latest posts