How are you an expert?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Fantastic! We process our own pigs and poultry as well, glad to hear from someone doing the same!

We also used to have beehives but haven't gotten back into them yet (potential long distance move pending, not an easy feat to move them)

Would love to hear more about the food you process.

Which foods in particular? There are so many! And more being added all the time.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I usually use peanut oil because I don't dont like it with olive oil base. EVery other oil is pretty much poison garbage...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Man this is hard on a phone...y'all gonna make me find my laptop...lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Which foods in particular? There are so many! And more being added all the time.

Any of them? Lol but things like condiments in particular and I'd love to hear what you use for flour, etc.

That was a vague answer. Share it all! Lol

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
A lot of us either do or have ground our own flour...there are tons of sources like growing your own wheat or even foraging acorns, which is what the native Americans used for flour. There are a lot of discussions on those topics on this forum buried in journals and such. That'd be a great topic to revive if we could find an old thread with info in it on that subject matter.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here or in another topic? I make the ketchup recipe from the old Fannie Farmer cookbook and it is fabulous. I make mustard with mustard and turmeric powders, whole mustard seeds, salt, ACV, and garlic and onion wines. Yum. Mayo....an egg and a yoke, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders, and drizzle a bit less than a cup of good EVOO until thick. Gorgeous. I salt/ferment diced garlic and scallions and these will last over a year. Oh, and mix the ketchup and mustard for a quick BBQ sauce, and make that even better by adding additional heat (cayenne, horseradish, whatever) and better sticking power with some very reduced broth and some honey.

Made salt for a few years, on the woodstove from sea water.

For flour, I use both hard white and soft white wheats for bread flour, pastry flour, and mixing them gets all purpose flour. I grind kamut in my Vitamix to make pasta.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm decently knowledgeable on how to take care of chickens and get them to do what I want. I know where to look for what I don't know.

I'm an expert on getting silkies to pose for pictures, not that that helps really in anything.

I'm getting pretty good on what will grow in our wet weather and waterlogged soils.

Also good at getting plants to grow in pots. I have 5 potted grapes. Two of which are old enough vines that I get some fruit. The concords may not ever produce in this climate, but they are chicken shade and leaf snacks.