How are you an expert?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had no idea a grape would produce if in a pot....I have a lot to learn too! (and so does my DH who routinely mows over my little grape vine that tries to recover every year)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had no idea a grape would produce if in a pot....I have a lot to learn too! (and so does my DH who routinely mows over my little grape vine that tries to recover every year)

Omg. My husband mowed my thornless blackberries the year I planted them. I didn't think they would make it. They did but I had to wait two years for any berries.

They make nice huge, late season berries that the flies don't like, so no maggots in the berries. This gives me berries when I can't eat the Himalayan or cutleaf ones because of maggots.

We have native trailing blackberries as well that produce super early but they only like shade under the evergreens and don't produce a lot.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
. I make mustard with mustard and turmeric powders, whole mustard seeds, salt, ACV, and garlic and onion wines. Yum.

I need help with mustard. I tried a recipe from a canning book. Hubby said it was too sweet. I made it without sugar. Hubby said it was bitter. What gives? Can you share a detailed recipe for someone who hates mustard and can't season by taste?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I need help with mustard. I tried a recipe from a canning book. Hubby said it was too sweet. I made it without sugar. Hubby said it was bitter. What gives? Can you share a detailed recipe for someone who hates mustard and can't season by taste?

A very basic mustard is just mustard powder. For hotter mustard, mix with cold water and let it sit a while and then add an acid, like ACV. The acid stops the heat from continuing to build. Let it sit for at least 24 hours as it will go through a bitter stage.

For less heat, use warm water and then add the ACV in 10-30 minutes. Let it sit overnight, then adjust the moisture level (mustard soaks up a LOT of liquid) to your liking and jar it up.

To get ideas for flavoring, look at gourmet mustards in the store and look at the ingredient list. Or Google (shopping) fancy mustards or gourmet mustards.

How long it keeps and whether it must be refrigerated depends on the flavorings. For example, if you use fresh or caramelized onions, it won't keep as long and will need refrigeration. This is why I used the wines in mine, so I could make a year's worth plus some for gifting.

Add turmeric for color and health benefits. Add whole seeds for texture and a gourmet....or rustic....feel. Whole seed mustards are the rage in the upscale restaurants, I'm told. I love the texture of them.

Brown seeds tend to be hotter.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't even thought about making mustards... THIS makes me think about it and want to try it!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am real good at growing gardens and canning, freezing or dehydrating the produce. I can raise and slaughter chickens. I've butchered deer and feral hogs, but not tackled domestic animals. We are raising pigs now and I really want to slaughter my own. Maybe @freemotion and @NH Homesteader could collaborate on a pig slaughter thread? How about it?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm good at IDing plants-I'd better be after going to school for it! I've been wanting to work on a lecture on poisonous pasture plants so I can contact the various barns, 4-H groups, etc. in the area and see if I can make some money by presenting it.