How did I waste money today?

Puck-Puck

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just to be a stinker, :p I'm starting this thread--hope it doesn't overlap another one--after seeing Annmarie's good thread on How I Saved Money. This is not to boast about wanton waste, so much as to address expenses that are irksome, which there ought to be a way to avoid, but we haven't thought of yet: and here's where the forum comes in, if many heads are better than one. Also, if we spot a "leak", to alert others who may have the same money leaker.

Here's mine: Are you taking advantage of offers like Yak, where you dial a number before a long distance number, for a cheaper rate than your regular service provider offers? I am. I use it for all my long distance calls. But I just realized that I haven't unsubscribed from the monthly long distance fee that my regular phone service provider is still charging me. So although it's not a big amount, over the months it adds up. Note to self: unsubscribe.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Good one Puck Puck,

I stayed home all day today and didn't spend money, which would probably have been a waste of money.

The left over cherries went bad and I had to give them to the chickens, now that was a waste of money! I have to keep a better eye on the contents in the fridge. :( Lesson learned.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Well, I used my a/c today more then usual. Its usually at set at 80 during the day with 2 fans in the livingroom going. But it was so hot outside I let it stay at 72 all day. And it was a waste I was aware of, I usually dont do it but today I let it slide. But it will catch up with me when the bill comes. :rolleyes:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
Well, I used my a/c today more then usual. Its usually at set at 80 during the day with 2 fans in the livingroom going. But it was so hot outside I let it stay at 72 all day. And it was a waste I was aware of, I usually dont do it but today I let it slide. But it will catch up with me when the bill comes. :rolleyes:
You live in TX! That is not a waste, it is surviving! Sorry though about the up coming bill. :( Not fun, been there done that!

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Yes BBH, but I usually leave it on 80 and its good with the fans..I was just being lazy today...and that was wasting money in a way too! lol!
I am hoping Bill stays away, and if he stays on the path hes on he wont head this way...but we both know how that works right?

HiDelight

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I did not waste my own money but I wasted the slush fund we keep between my job share and I for emergency coffee or someone needs a gift donation ...anyway it was a crappy cup of coffee that I could not even finish!!
I did not use a paper cup so should get a little credit!!!

oh man that was horrid coffee it was a total waste no matter how badly I needed/wanted it ..

there is NO excuse for bad coffee anywhere near Seattle I am sorry!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
Yes BBH, but I usually leave it on 80 and its good with the fans..I was just being lazy today...and that was wasting money in a way too! lol!
I am hoping Bill stays away, and if he stays on the path hes on he wont head this way...but we both know how that works right?
Both your electricity bill and Hurricane Bill are not going to be welcomed! :p

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I did not waste my own money but I wasted the slush fund we keep between my job share and I for emergency coffee or someone needs a gift donation ...anyway it was a crappy cup of coffee that I could not even finish!!
I did not use a paper cup so should get a little credit!!!

oh man that was horrid coffee it was a total waste no matter how badly I needed/wanted it ..

there is NO excuse for bad coffee anywhere near Seattle I am sorry!
:sick Sorry about your cup of Joe.

Islay

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My current money (and soul) waste is doing the lazy thing and planting my son in front of the TV with his toys for an hour a day so I can get on with things. It's a waste because he will survive about 30 minutes without TV, but putting it on means I know I get a clean hour (which I don't really need, but I like).

I give myself a Monday Challenge next week on my blog (in signature) and I'm planning a TV free week next week, so hopefully we'll get out of that nasty little habit.

Latest posts