How did I waste money today?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
e4s,

That is a duvet for a twin comforter, the open end (my daughter's has ties, but open is fine too) usually isn't noticable. What is nice is that you can wash it frequently with other items w/o having to wash the whole comforter, which takes up way more space to wash. I think it is a great find!

kenman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Islay said:
My current money (and soul) waste is doing the lazy thing and planting my son in front of the TV with his toys for an hour a day so I can get on with things. It's a waste because he will survive about 30 minutes without TV, but putting it on means I know I get a clean hour (which I don't really need, but I like).

I give myself a Monday Challenge next week on my blog (in signature) and I'm planning a TV free week next week, so hopefully we'll get out of that nasty little habit.
Time is the most precious commodity we have. My youngest started junior high this week (7th grade), and I'm feeling it. By the way, hello from Missouri!

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
e4s,

That is a duvet for a twin comforter, the open end (my daughter's has ties, but open is fine too) usually isn't noticable. What is nice is that you can wash it frequently with other items w/o having to wash the whole comforter, which takes up way more space to wash. I think it is a great find!
Duvet...... I feel so sophisticated and European.
Guess I need to go back and look for a twin comforter.
Maybe I could cut holes at the corners and it'll be a Halloween costume of a French maid, seeing as how it's a duvet. Anything to get out of sewing.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
eggs4sale said:
big brown horse said:
e4s,

Duvet...... I feel so sophisticated and European.
Guess I need to go back and look for a twin comforter.
Maybe I could cut holes at the corners and it'll be a Halloween costume of a French maid, seeing as how it's a duvet. Anything to get out of sewing.
See, going by your description I was thinking 'fancy body bag'. If nothing else you can put your deep-fat friers in it. But I guess that ruins the point of having one in every room.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oddly enough, and of absolutely no importance to anyone except weird people like me who like words :lol:, "duvet", though it sounds French, isn't what they say in France for "comforter". The word I learned in Germany also sounds French - "Plumeau" - but also isn't what the French say. I believe that it is called a "couette" in French, but I would need to check with my French speaking friend to be sure. And I have recently learned that the same article is called a "doona" in Australia.
In case anyone is interested, in Germany the duvet, with cover, is often used as the only covering on a bed. Thus the cover; it is removed and washed as we (in America) would wash the sheets. It certainly makes "making the bed" an easy task ;).

Islay

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I had never made that connection - is a comforter the American term for a duvet?

I am at my mother's this week (raiding her orchard ;) ), and she never has the TV on, so my son is already having lots more entertainment of the non-TV variety!

kathyschix

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The hens are now laying and we have plenty of eggs for the three of us and my husband came home from the grocery store with yet another carton of eggs. :he :he :he

OK, that's probably more of a vent than anything. :bow

Regards,

Kathy

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you want to waste some money try these new co pays at the dr's office, mine went up 15 bucks, and im up to 70 bucks just this week, stupid infection :rant :he. KC if you need some eggs, ive only got 4 dozen in the fridge, i give most of mine away to an older couple in the area, they really like fresh brown eggs.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I soaked 2.5 cups of organic whole wheat flour in buttermilk to make Nourishing Traditions waffels then got busy and forgot it. NOT pretty! :/

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hubby insisted, ( and I did not object) to running the AC for the last few days. It was stinkin' hot, humid with no wind or breeze at all. But the thermo was set at 80, it was 95 F outside, not including the humidex.
(Today, no humidity, about 80 outside--so no air on today )