How did I waste money today?

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
eggs4sale said:
davaroo said:
Bought a Subway sub. I could have eaten at home. A waste.
Don't waste money on having your stomach pumped. Just sorta ram your gut against the back of a chair, or have kids jump on your stomach.

I had the 'cold cuts' sandwich there a few months ago when we were in a hurry and starved. I swear, I'm so dumb I didn't know cold cuts meant bologna. I ate the thing, watching my kids eat their sort of okay looking subs, and I almost threw up on the way to the car. Every time I drive to town and see their sign, my head shakes uncontrollably for a second or two as I relive that moment over and over.

Thank you, Davaroo, for letting me reminisce.
Hey, no prob.
I had the chicken breast with sweet onion sauce, dressed with spinach, red onion cucumber and olives.

I'm not really a 'foodie' extremist anymore, and I confess to all that I love a good sub/hoagie/hero.
But at my age, I should at least attempt to wean off such things.
The chicken 'sammich went some way towards that, even if it was kinda bland.

The money wasn't really the issue, to be honest. It's just that the whole episode struck me as kind of a waste.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Sometimes you just gotta splurge to stay human, remember you exist to live and not live to exist.

We don't have a subway around these parts but do have a quiznos which I like better anyways - only had them twice in two years though.

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
xpc said:
Sometimes you just gotta splurge to stay human, remember you exist to live and not live to exist.

We don't have a subway around these parts but do have a quiznos which I like better anyways - only had them twice in two years though.
Agreed. I did enjoy the interlude, that's certain. Just me, eatin' and sippin' ice tea. No errands to run, no tasks that I simply had to get done - just 20 minutes of peace and quiet.

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
davaroo said:
Bought dog food and cat food. They eat and do little else. A waste.

Bought "The Foxfire" book off ebay. Didn't need it but wanted it for my collection. A waste? Ill let you be the judge...
Foxfire, EXCELLENT choice, a classic must have. There is a Foxfire2 and 3 also.... They've been on my parents bookshelf since I was a kid and in fact they just gave them to me as a Bday present this year. I just started Farm City by Novella Carpenter.... Cant compare to Foxfire series however....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Someone posted a link to free downloadable books. I had dh put the Foxfire series on my laptop. Have I started reading them yet? Of course not. When I am looking for something to read, I NEVER think to go get the laptop!

Maybe this winter I will keep it by the bed and get into a new habit. Yes, the feel of a book in your hands is part of the experience....but.....FREE! Can't be passed up. And no overdue fines to the library... :rolleyes:

Oh, this thread is about SPENDING, not saving....oooops..... :duc

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
homestead holdout said:
davaroo said:
Bought dog food and cat food. They eat and do little else. A waste.

Bought "The Foxfire" book off ebay. Didn't need it but wanted it for my collection. A waste? Ill let you be the judge...
Foxfire, EXCELLENT choice, a classic must have. There is a Foxfire2 and 3 also.... They've been on my parents bookshelf since I was a kid and in fact they just gave them to me as a Bday present this year. I just started Farm City by Novella Carpenter.... Cant compare to Foxfire series however....
I have 2,3,4,5 and now the first. In time I would like to complete the set.

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Someone posted a link to free downloadable books. I had dh put the Foxfire series on my laptop. Have I started reading them yet? Of course not. When I am looking for something to read, I NEVER think to go get the laptop!

Maybe this winter I will keep it by the bed and get into a new habit. Yes, the feel of a book in your hands is part of the experience....but.....FREE! Can't be passed up. And no overdue fines to the library... :rolleyes:

Oh, this thread is about SPENDING, not saving....oooops..... :duc
So wheres this link?.....

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
eggs4sale said:
xpc said:
I saw on the news the other day that chocolate was heart healthy, for men anyways - I ignored the part about moderation though.
In my English Dictionary, 'moderation' means "Consuming as much as you can
1. before the kids find you and your stash, or
2. till you feel sick."

Sure, it's written in Bic pen, but that doesn't mean it's not a reference material.
YES!!! That's what I've been telling people about Dove dark chocolate! So glad to hear I've been vindicated.:celebrate

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I didn't go to work today because I thought I would have to go to urgent care for that silly ant sting... lost a good days wages. HOWEVER, since I found the information at SS.com that I needed to set my mind at ease that I would not lose my leg :lol: I was able to save the cost of the doctor visit so I think I'm still ahead.

shelleyd2008

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I spent over $70 on some chicks that I reallllllly didn't need (have over 100 chickens already!) but wanted oooooooooooh so bad! :gig