How did I waste money today?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Beekissed said:
I've thought of that, but I want a pretty duvet and pretty sheets are expensive! Now, if I could find some at a yard sale or something, I would do just that. To buy the material would be so very expensive also.

Sadly, the only sheets I have right now are Walmart specials, solid colors and just not appealing to put on the top of a bed.

Also, I would have to line the sheet/duvet to prevent the color of the comforter from coming through (deep red colored) the pale sheets. This would mean using even more material. I think the commercial duvets are made from a thicker material than sheets?

I love my down comforters but they aren't exactly the color I wanted....but they were cheap, you know? Also, I feel the duvet would help me from having to wash the comforters so much, which seems to be deteriorating the amount of down in the pockets.

If I can help it, I don't ever intend to be without a down comforter. They are the ultimate in warmth and lightweight luxury. One of the best investments I ever made!
I agree about the down comforters; I learned to love them in Germany, and find that in our relatively mild climate a mid weight comforter is all I need at night (unfortunately DH learned about electric blankets since coming to the US, and needs it on most nights; needless to say, we have a blanket with dual
controls :lol:).
You could make a cover with cheaper sheets, to hide the red color, and when finances allow get prettier sheets for a second cover. This would solve the "washing the down out of the comforter" problem, as well as the color showing through once you have the nicer cover - just put it on over the the other one. You could also maybe use a pretty sheet for the top side, and a cheaper one for the bottom.
Be VERY careful with the elctric blanket idea...they are really really bad for you. The electric is bad for causing cancers, and the constant heat is NOT good for muscles. Your muscles actually deteriorate over time with the use of electric blankets or pads etc. Just something to look into, they really take a tole on your health over time. A feather duvet is a much better choice.
If your hubby NEEDS the heat, make sure he warms the bed BEFORE getting into it and when he goes to bed UNPLUG the blanket from the socket so there is no 'electrically charged magnetic field' around you both while you sleep.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
ORChick said:
Beekissed said:
I've thought of that, but I want a pretty duvet and pretty sheets are expensive! Now, if I could find some at a yard sale or something, I would do just that. To buy the material would be so very expensive also.

Sadly, the only sheets I have right now are Walmart specials, solid colors and just not appealing to put on the top of a bed.

Also, I would have to line the sheet/duvet to prevent the color of the comforter from coming through (deep red colored) the pale sheets. This would mean using even more material. I think the commercial duvets are made from a thicker material than sheets?

I love my down comforters but they aren't exactly the color I wanted....but they were cheap, you know? Also, I feel the duvet would help me from having to wash the comforters so much, which seems to be deteriorating the amount of down in the pockets.

If I can help it, I don't ever intend to be without a down comforter. They are the ultimate in warmth and lightweight luxury. One of the best investments I ever made!
I agree about the down comforters; I learned to love them in Germany, and find that in our relatively mild climate a mid weight comforter is all I need at night (unfortunately DH learned about electric blankets since coming to the US, and needs it on most nights; needless to say, we have a blanket with dual
controls :lol:).
You could make a cover with cheaper sheets, to hide the red color, and when finances allow get prettier sheets for a second cover. This would solve the "washing the down out of the comforter" problem, as well as the color showing through once you have the nicer cover - just put it on over the the other one. You could also maybe use a pretty sheet for the top side, and a cheaper one for the bottom.
Be VERY careful with the elctric blanket idea...they are really really bad for you. The electric is bad for causing cancers, and the constant heat is NOT good for muscles. Your muscles actually deteriorate over time with the use of electric blankets or pads etc. Just something to look into, they really take a tole on your health over time. A feather duvet is a much better choice.
If your hubby NEEDS the heat, make sure he warms the bed BEFORE getting into it and when he goes to bed UNPLUG the blanket from the socket so there is no 'electrically charged magnetic field' around you both while you sleep.
I agree that there are better ways to stay warm. I also must have a high personal thermostat, because the light duvet is really all I need, even in winter - with maybe an extra blanket on very rare nights. DH however wouldn't believe you even if he did listen, so that is why we have dual controls, and my side is never on.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
firem3 said:
im gonna post for a friend, he just "HAD TO HAVE" a 2008 F350 dully 4X4 crew cab loaded, he has a farm but no animals, he sold all his horses, has now large trailers to pull, i had to know what the payment is, $700.00 a month. I called him an idiot, in a friend joking way.
Ours is on a lease, $511.13 / month. We only have one car, and it's a 2008, 5.4L, F-150 supercab. Truthfully, if we had a second car I'd be going for a small car, and really I could pick up a lot of stuff without the truck, like my feed. But we do need the truck for a lot of stuff too, like hauling soil, rental equipment, poles for fencing. No one delivers out here except for Lutes Cedar LOL

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
eggs4sale said:
I took the kids to Goodwill last night and we bought Star Wars (which comes on satellite every other day) and the Wiggles In Space, which my oldest said "Don't get that, Mom! They're bobbleheads and they're like cartoons! They're not even real!" The 2-year-old already had it clutched to his chest, so I said "You take it away from him." He said "Hmmm" and walked away.

Then I bought a twin-sized comforter COVER just because the fabric design was to die for, but I can't think of a thing to actually do with it. I think it's a cover, anyways... It is two layers with an opening at one end, but no buttons or zipper.... anyone?

I'm such a sucker.

BTW, wanna buy a London Fog trench coat, fur coat, snow suit, or leather jacket dirt cheap? They're in these stores for almost nothing because what would we do with them?????
It's called a duvet, E4S! I've been looking all over for those! Where in the world did you find one?

Never mind....>embarassed< didn't read the whole thread to see that others came up with the word..... :rolleyes:

SO...where did you find it? :D
Goodwill. I let everyone else buy the good stuff and pay the big bucks, then when they get bored of it, it's mine!

If I'm looking for an apron, I find only 5 duvets. If I'm looking for lace curtains, I find only electric blankets (no cords). But I always find something! Although it is usually covered in cat hair or footprints.

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I spent almost $10 at the farmer's market today. I was there as a vendor, but it's so much fun to buy things from my fellow vendors :) But, did I really NEED 8 oz of garlic-dill cheese curds and pepper and carrots when I have so many other veggies to eat from my garden? Oh well...
If you got the "squeaky cheese," YES you had to have that, SOOOO good, I'm so addicted.... I was a FM Vendor last year and traded the cheese lady every week for my veggies so no money traded AND I got the plastic containers she sells it in, to re-use for freezing stuff like curry and pesto that I make all summer.... If you look at it that way, you didnt buy plastic containers so you didnt waste! Or am I reaching just to justify my addiction? LOL

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bought dog food and cat food. They eat and do little else. A waste.

Bought a Subway sub. I could have eaten at home. A waste.

Bought "The Foxfire" book off ebay. Didn't need it but wanted it for my collection. A waste? Ill let you be the judge...

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love my duvet :D Best thing I ever bought...

You can get them dirt cheap at IKEA...

I use the duvet (with cover) in the winter under my thin quilt that I bought from Winners onsale :D

I went to Lowes for some small bolts and nuts, and little plates so I can finish the goat house... I could have waited till tomorrow or gone to Home Hardware this afternoon when I bought Timmies (also, another wastage trip because that is all I bought 23 KM away...)

Wow, I am BAD. Oh well, Tomorrow I'm going to pick up our 2 Pygmy goats, drop off my brother at the train station, and buy goat feed so it's not like I'm not combining 3 things into one trip.

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
davaroo said:
Bought a Subway sub. I could have eaten at home. A waste.
Don't waste money on having your stomach pumped. Just sorta ram your gut against the back of a chair, or have kids jump on your stomach.

I had the 'cold cuts' sandwich there a few months ago when we were in a hurry and starved. I swear, I'm so dumb I didn't know cold cuts meant bologna. I ate the thing, watching my kids eat their sort of okay looking subs, and I almost threw up on the way to the car. Every time I drive to town and see their sign, my head shakes uncontrollably for a second or two as I relive that moment over and over.

Thank you, Davaroo, for letting me reminisce.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I was against it but when remodeling the kitchen I installed a built-in dishwasher knowing that most potential buyers of this house would like it. So I had to test it out for correct operation, ate (8) weeks later it is all I use. I only use the light wash mode because I have a dog to take of any stuck on food lickity spit and only air dry to save on electricity.

To be fair I only wash dishes once a week and not until the last clean fork has surrendered. I like it because it keeps the dirty dishes off the counter, I also only use cold water (not really cold because the ambient temp of the non-functional water heater is kept at about 80F being in the house) they don't recommend this because cold water won't dissolve the fat but my dog takes care of that problem and have had no dirty dishes come out as of yet.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
homestead holdout said:
me&thegals said:
I spent almost $10 at the farmer's market today. I was there as a vendor, but it's so much fun to buy things from my fellow vendors :) But, did I really NEED 8 oz of garlic-dill cheese curds and pepper and carrots when I have so many other veggies to eat from my garden? Oh well...
If you got the "squeaky cheese," YES you had to have that, SOOOO good, I'm so addicted.... I was a FM Vendor last year and traded the cheese lady every week for my veggies so no money traded AND I got the plastic containers she sells it in, to re-use for freezing stuff like curry and pesto that I make all summer.... If you look at it that way, you didnt buy plastic containers so you didnt waste! Or am I reaching just to justify my addiction? LOL
Isn't it fun swapping? One week I gave 1 pint of blackberries for 1 dozen chocolate-mint Amish-made cookies. Oh, yum!