How do you disenfect used shoes?

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know there are some fungus or other things you can catch from used shoes. And some of those things can only be gotten rid of with expensive medication. My Step dad has one of the kinds you can only get rid of with expensive drugs (pills), but he cant take them because they are bad for your liver. And his liver is already bad.

So my son has out grown his shoes, now he has nothing to wear. I dont have any money to get out of town and buy him a pair. In our town the cheapest pair of shoes would be about $25-35. Still cheaper to go out of town, even including the gas. I never spend that much on a small childs shoes. So I may be forced to buy them used or get them from the free shoe place on Saturdays.

Is there a way to make sure the shoes are fungus and disease free, with out ruining the shoes. Or should I pass up on the used shoes.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I never buy used shoes. To me, it is akin to wearing someone else's bra. But IF you do....I'd Lysol the crap out of them and set them out in the sunshine for a few days. Then wash them and dry them again in the sun.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know I hate used shoes.. I never buy used shoes. I may have no other option right now. Alot of other unexpected bills are using up all the money.

My other car broke down. New (very used cheap car) just to get me from point A to B. Is not running that well. I guess that is what you get for a $500 car. Then we had to order a birth certificate so my son can go to Kindergarden. The school said it cost $20. But it ended up costing us $52.50. The stupid place charged us $20 for shipping. $7.50 for looking up the birth certificate, $5 for a debit card use service fee. Plus some other fees. Wow when we bought my daughters birth certificate it cost us a total of $35.

Well I may not get any used shoes, I think they are unsafe. And risky. But if there is a way to make sure he wont get some foot disease. Then maybe I may get a used pair.

I have 3 weeks to get him a pair of shoes. If I cant get a pair by then. I will be forced to get a used pair. Right now its nice enough for the kids to run barefoot.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
All the kids here are wearing flip flops to school. While I HATE flip flops...they ARE cheap as dirt. Maybe it would buy you a bit more time :) I know how it feels to not be able to afford some of those "little things" and it is annoying :lol:

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
All the kids here are wearing flip flops to school. While I HATE flip flops...they ARE cheap as dirt. Maybe it would buy you a bit more time :) I know how it feels to not be able to afford some of those "little things" and it is annoying :lol:
Thats a great idea. But here they dont allow flip flops at school. Well at least the small kids school. I think the high schoolers are allowed to wear them. Shoes have to be secure, and no open toes. Some open toed sandals you can get away with if they are barely open toed. I guess the school thinks they are dangerous because kids can fall to often while playing.

So I still have only 3 weeks, well maybe a few days more than 3 weeks.

Actually personally I hate shoes. Hate them. When its warm out Im barefoot. I just take flip flops with me so I could go into buildings.

I just cant believe he grew out of the shoes so fast. 2 weeks ago they fit perfect. Now they are leaving blisters. Kids grow to fast. LOL

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I buy used shoes all the time. Yes...Lysol and sunshine is how you clean them.

I have expensive taste in shoes. I LOVE Merrells. Can't afford them new, but no problem paying $6 at goodwill! My latest...a pair of sketcher tennis shoes with NO WEAR on the soles for $4.99 and some white reeboks for $5.99.

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I buy used shoes all the time. I dont disinfect them at all.:hide

Wonder what the stuff is that the bowling ally uses for the rental shoes?:idunno

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Seven Hens Farm said:
I buy used shoes all the time. I dont disinfect them at all.:hide

Wonder what the stuff is that the bowling ally uses for the rental shoes?:idunno
Hmmm. Maybe I should call our local bowling alley and ask them.

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If there are no reasonably priced places in your town, why not buy them online? It's got to be better than buying used shoes. I don't think I could do that.