How do you disenfect used shoes?

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OrganicKale said:
If there are no reasonably priced places in your town, why not buy them online? It's got to be better than buying used shoes. I don't think I could do that.
Do you know of any places online to get cheap new shoes, for kids?

I guess if im doomed to get the used ones. Then maybe if I find a pair that look barely used, maybe they would have less chance of carrying any thing yucky.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have been buying used shoes for over 25 years. I never got any foot rot. Same with my kids and hubby. Plus I was a league bowler for years and never had my own shoes. I do think there is a SLIGHT risk of catching something, but come on people!!! It's not like shoes as going to give you ebola!!!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I buy shoes off of ebay all the time! Athletic shoes like Skechers and Easy Spirits. I have sold some the same way with no problems! I would think Lysol would do the trick!

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I have been buying used shoes for over 25 years. I never got any foot rot. Same with my kids and hubby. Plus I was a league bowler for years and never had my own shoes. I do think there is a SLIGHT risk of catching something, but come on people!!! It's not like shoes as going to give you ebola!!!
Sorry but I was just a bit leary of used shoes, since my step dad didnt have a foot virus/fungus until he bought a pair of used shoes. Now he can never get rid of it. The pills damage the liver, and his liver is already bad. So now the only thing he can do is when a toe nail gets to bad and disfigured, he will have to have the toe nail removed permenatly.

I guess Im worrying to much about. It was just his luck I guess, how often does it really happen.

But I just wanted to be safer than sorry.

Thats why I asked this question.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Your dad already had a compromised immune system. It might not have even been the shoes that caused the problem. I know a few young, healthy women who got toe nail fungus using artificial nails.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Our family wears shoes we buy used. We have never sterilized any and never had a foot problem. We have worn used shoes for at least five years with no issues.

We have been able to get our son the shoes that are the style he prefers by buying used, some of them would have been too expensive for us to buy new. We live in a climate where flip flops are not feasible much of the time, we need "real" shoes.

I do NOT buy or wear used socks or underwear however. That is where we draw the line with used clothing.

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day gang,for the last few years we have brought all of our shoes/boots from the charity shop(farm work boots and all).I once brought a pair of beautiful dress boots from a "yard sale",it turned out they were the sellers fathers and he had died.I call them my "dead mans boots" and every time I wear then Jenny says"Don't you dare tell the kids where you got those boots from"..................T.O.R.................

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Your dad already had a compromised immune system. It might not have even been the shoes that caused the problem. I know a few young, healthy women who got toe nail fungus using artificial nails.
That could be.. Although he got the foot problem before the known liver problem. But that could have been the first sign his liver was going bad. Maybe it made it easier for him to contract the foot problem.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know athletes foot is common in our area. Will the Lysol kill that. Or should I be careful and spray the shoes with athletes foot spray.

Just sort of thinking out loud.

Since so many people have been ok with used shoes. Ive always steared clear of them. I guess tommarrow I will go and get him a pair of used shoes. Darn this town for having only one expensive place to buy shoes.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
If athletes foot is common, some Tenactin or other foot spray like that might not be a bad idea. It will make you feel better, so I say go for it :D