How do you prepare for a Blizzard?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The grocery was on my to-do list anyway, so I picked up extra peanut butter and fruits and veggies in case of power outage. Bought gas for the generator. Other than that, we fill buckets of water for the animals and ourselves. Make sure everyone has showered and then sit back and watch.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OH one thing I do different is fill up the bathtub so I can flush one bath lol

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They just upgraded the winter storm warning to a blizzard warning here so today all I need to do is top off the gas in the truck and fill a couple of gas cans for my ATV plow and the generator. I've been putting off buying gas hoping prices would drop. Oh well ( heavy sigh).
I always save my empty laundry detergent and bleach bottles, fill them with water and store them under the bathroom sink for emergency flushes. 1 bottle/1 flush.
I drink a lot of powerade during the summer so I fill those bottles about 3/4 full with water and store them in the upright freezer so if I loose power they help keep the freezer cold longer and I will have about 10 gallons of potable water available.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I can't believe how many people are in panic mode over this storm system moving in. I was talking to my mom yesterday, and she asked me the same question, basically.. do I have everything Ineed to get through the storm. I though about it, and said --I generally have enough to last us at least 6 months comfortably., minus the milk, cheese and fresh fruit/veggies. It never even crossed my mind that people needed to prepare for a storm. We have the generator if the power goes out, so we will have emergency lighting, and the water pump will work. We bedded down the animal nice and tight last night. Just gonna go about my normal day here, storm or no storm.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Get some new library books :)

(Although I sure do hope we don't lose power for a prolonged period, as we have still not been able to afford a fireplace insert and the fireplace itself is totally useless so it would get pretty cold pretty fast here. Because the well pump also goes out if electric goes out, I also refresh my stored water supply and make sure the animals' water is all topped up, although I can melt snow if I *had* to)

Pat

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I dont do anything other than bed the animals in good and get my shower.....and sit back and waite. We have enough food for about 6 months...water...plenty for a while. Woodstove, firewood, cast iron to cook with...im ready. I say...bring it on!:p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In preparation for this blizzard .....

I am watching the news media run around in a panic...

I am listening to my friends who are prepared sit back and relax...

I really think the media creates a frenzy. But for those everyday folks who can't get by without that loaf of bread things could get pretty desperate. I feel for them. Hope everyone stays warm and safe.

:hugs

Wifey did you get some good snow last night??

g

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Nope. Just a dusting, but we sure did get the cold!!! We are NOT used to day time temps below zero! Actually, we seldom get below zero at night either. High today? -4. Current wind chill is -36 I hope my car starts!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh hey.. i just posted this in my journal.. but here it is, for what its worth:

cookies - check!
bread - check!
water - check!
water for critters - check!
easy to make-on-the-woodstove suppers - check!
trucks all have gas; especially useful for power inverter - check!
books on famous historical warlords - check!
bottle of tequila - goes without saying if you know what i mean...

(hey boyd!)
ps hi Tanks!